Why become a member? ×

5 string combo

malcspring

I am new to the bass guitar, but am looking to take up the 5 string. I do need some advice as to the type of combo that will fit my needs. I know that the low b runs at a frequency around 30 hz and as such I will be needing a combo that can comfortably handle this without "farting, distorting". To complete my rig, I was looking at the American Fender Jazz 5 string, or the Music Man Sterling 5 string. I was then going to use for practice in my spare bedroom, so do not need something huge. Just good enough to handle the frequencies.

I use Mark Bass now with a 5 string, essentially a 2x10 combo but it's not a cheap solution: you don't mention budget. If you are only playing at bedroom volumes I had a Roland Cube Combo that at 30 watts was fine for practising and the 100 watt I replaced it with coped with a drummer and guitar too!

Low volumes is not the problem so virtually anything will do for the bedroom. The problems come when you want to get out with the combo.

In situ, depending on budget, I'd be looking at an Eden 210XLT or Markbass 102 combo, the former being the better second hand deal, most likely. Plus they will gig to a very reasonable volume level and you can add anothe cab if required later.

[quote name='malcspring' post='848770' date='May 26 2010, 06:26 PM']I am new to the bass guitar, but am looking to take up the 5 string. I do need some advice as to the type of combo that will fit my needs. I know that the low b runs at a frequency around 30 hz and as such I will be needing a combo that can comfortably handle this without "farting, distorting". To complete my rig, I was looking at the American Fender Jazz 5 string, or the Music Man Sterling 5 string. I was then going to use for practice in my spare bedroom, so do not need something huge. Just good enough to handle the frequencies.[/quote]
The Hartke Hydrive combos are compact, powerful,handle the bottom end and have a 'kickback' feature for close up.
I've got a 112c which is fine, so the 115c would probably do the job even better.