Why become a member? ×

Advice on 3 different strings

Faithless

So, I'm thinking to put a proper set of strings on my EUB..

I'm playing only pizzicato jazz, no bow, nothing classical.

What I've found in shop, that suits my money range, would be..

1.D'Addario Prelude (3/4 bass strings - would they still fit a standard scale EUB? (mine seems 40?)

2.Corelli Savarez

3.Thomastik Super Flexible 42

I know nothing about DB strings actually, so I'd appreciate your input..

Once again - only pizzicato jazz..

Thanks,
Faith

Edited by Faithless

I'm afraid I haven't used any of those strings so I can't comment.

It's hard to say how the strings will differ on the EUB other than string tension and feel etc...

Go over to TB and have a good read through the strings section in the double bass forum. Lots of great info there :)

my experience...

i rate the corelli savarez highly - but they are very thin and light - not to everyones taste.

I also love (and am currently using) obligatos. (in fact i use the solo set tuned to concert pitch which gives a really soft feel that many other pro friends of mine have tried and loved. you can't dig in with a bow as it tends to strangle easily but that's not an issue for you - just mention it for others reading this.)

I hate helicores with a passion! (though i know a lot of people love them) and was never fond of spirocores either, though it's been a long time since i've played them.

Have heard great things about the evahs (similar to obligatos apparently) and they are the next strings i'd like to try (though they are quite expensive.)

just my opinion, hope it helps....
cheers,
Daf

Keep in mind that strings sounds much brighter and have more sustain on an EUB than they do on a double bass. Many people prefer orchestral strings on EUBs because their lack of sustain counteracts the natural brightness the EUB gives, and gives you a kind of thumpy sound that comes closest to an acoustic double bass sound.

I use Helicore Orchestral mediums on my EUB and like them.

In any case, see if you can find some used strings here or on Talkbass - there are good deals to be had!

I absolutely LOVE the Evahs ! I have the medium evahs on both my orch bass and my jazz. I have a set of the Evah weichs but found them too rubbery. I like a bit of resistance from the string. Bilbo is trying them at present (what do think Bilbo ? like em ?). When he lets me have them back, I'd be happy for you to try them Daf.

And Faithless - can I suggest you try a bit of playing with the bow ? It will do great things for your intonation, vibrato and left hand sustain.

Just because you use a bow doesn't mean you have to play classical repertoire. Look at all the jazz players who use one - Paul Chambers, John Pattaticci , Eberhard Weber, Stanley Clarke to name but a few.

The Major

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='848932' date='May 26 2010, 09:18 PM']I absolutely LOVE the Evahs ! I have the medium evahs on both my orch bass and my jazz. I have a set of the Evah weichs but found them too rubbery. I like a bit of resistance from the string. Bilbo is trying them at present (what do think Bilbo ? like em ?). When he lets me have them back, I'd be happy for you to try them Daf.[/quote]

Hi Major,

Thanks for the offer - That would be really great!

It was the weichs i was particularly interested in as you'd obviously guessed....

come on Rob, hurry up with them!! :rolleyes: :)

cheers,
Daf

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='848932' date='May 26 2010, 11:18 PM']And Faithless - can I suggest you try a bit of playing with the bow ? It will do great things for your intonation, vibrato and left hand sustain.

Just because you use a bow doesn't mean you have to play classical repertoire. Look at all the jazz players who use one - Paul Chambers, John Pattaticci , Eberhard Weber, Stanley Clarke to name but a few.

The Major[/quote]

Oh, ye, I know that lots of jazzers use bows..

The thing is, electric bass takes so much time from me, and, going to DB, learning different techs gets just crazy in terms of time.. But, on the other hand, just that an lame excuse :)

I'll see if I can get that bow thing.

[quote name='Faithless' post='849130' date='May 27 2010, 08:11 AM']I'll see if I can get that bow thing.[/quote]
Good man ! You won't regret it. It's not easy at first, but with a little effort and concentration (and maybe a lesson or 2), you will be soaring (sawing ?) away in no time !

Even if you just use it for that old cliche, the last sustained note of a ballad, its another colour you can bring to your playing.

The Major