Why become a member? ×

Ignorance

Pete Academy

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='847211' date='May 25 2010, 09:34 AM']Quite strangely, on the Strictly Tour, I've been eq-ing as I always do, making sure I can hear every frequency of the bass & sending the DI signal "pre eq" from the amp. The sound where we are on the stage is great, but all I hear is thud and boom out front. This weekend however, I sent the signal "post eq" and the engineer commented, "Wow, your bass sounds amazing this week." Hmmm... :)[/quote]

I have employed this tactic before! pre/post EQ DI switches are underrated.
That, and in A STUDIO, I deliberately left the EQ on my Vigier flat when messing around with levels etc. and then turned it on +15dB across the selected frequency (flick of a switch downwards) for the take/s. Sounded amazing. No-one noticed, except to say "That really came through well..."

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='847991' date='May 25 2010, 10:16 PM']I have employed this tactic before! pre/post EQ DI switches are underrated.
That, and in A STUDIO, I deliberately left the EQ on my Vigier flat when messing around with levels etc. and then turned it on +15dB across the selected frequency (flick of a switch downwards) for the take/s. Sounded amazing. No-one noticed, except to say "That really came through well..."[/quote]

Jet Harris from the Shadows was famous for doing something similar in the studio, He always added a little volume once they'd done the balance and went for a take.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='847131' date='May 25 2010, 07:15 AM']Further proof that we are just seen as the bloke at the back going 'dum-dum-dum'.[/quote]

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

We aren't just the blokes at the back going dum-dum-dum?!

When did they change that? :)

I feel the pain here, I really do -- I'm sick of the bum-deal we get in sound checks more than anything!

"Play the bass.... Okay I'm getting a signal. Guitars..."

It's literally that quick!

[quote name='gjones' post='847980' date='May 25 2010, 10:00 PM']Hmmmmmm....a very interesting comment. I've been in the same situation where the sound of my bass out front is woolly rubbish but on stage is excellent. I've always wondered why all the sound guys/girls I've ever dealt with want a pre DI signal, into a DI box, when I've spent a lot of time getting a sound I like with the EQ on my amp. Guitarists get their sound and then a sound guy puts a mic in front of it to amplify THAT sound.

Time to make a stand! Bassists unite! If they want a direct signal they can take it from the amp post EQ! Get that poxy wee DI box out of my sight![/quote]

I've always ran the DI from the head post EQ, I like the way it sounds. TBH the sound guy/girl probably never noticed as the rest if the bands bassists use my amp. Surprising how many times other bassists in the bands and even some musos have given their appreciation on how good the bass sounds if I muck in.

That said. It probably helps, mucking in I mean. Our band has always provided the drum kit and bass amp (the two heaviest and most awkward pieces) arrived early and helped set everything beyond the sound board mix desk thing.

I've always soundchecked for a few seconds aswell however, but then again I've been happy with the sound. I always make sure to play a bit quieter too, as they tend to turn me down a bit if I go full on. And in my band it's the lead and bass that important, with rythm guitar filling out some lost sustain and mids during the leads solos.

[quote name='OldGit' post='847747' date='May 25 2010, 06:01 PM']Out comes the pitch shifter :)[/quote]

[quote name='tauzero' post='847758' date='May 25 2010, 06:11 PM']And the half-second delay in the foldback...[/quote]

Funny bastards!! :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: