Why become a member? ×

American import amp

edster

I have an American market GK 700RB-II. I use a step down transformer to run it and was wondering if it's possible to have some sort of conversion done so it can run from the UK mains. If it's possible, is it expensive and perhaps more trouble than its worth?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='edster' post='845966' date='May 23 2010, 08:05 PM']I have an American market GK 700RB-II. I use a step down transformer to run it and was wondering if it's possible to have some sort of conversion done so it can run from the UK mains. If it's possible, is it expensive and perhaps more trouble than its worth?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

It's trivial to convert the 700RB to 240V. It shouldn't take a tech more than 10 minutes from start to finish. Apart from his time the only thing you need to pay for is a new fuse.

[quote name='edster' post='845966' date='May 23 2010, 08:05 PM']I have an American market GK 700RB-II. I use a step down transformer to run it and was wondering if it's possible to have some sort of conversion done so it can run from the UK mains. If it's possible, is it expensive and perhaps more trouble than its worth?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Depends on if there is a 240V mains tap on the mains transformer, if there is then very simple, if not then you need a new transformer.

Last one I converted was made in 2005. Assuming they are still the same they have a power transformer with multiple primary windings. Connection to the pcb is made via push on spade terminals. IIRC tap selection is also done on the pcb with push on spade terminal links, which are marked for 110V, 240V etc.

I've had a look inside the amp. The transformer is model no. TTO-10864-00. It says the input is 100V-110V-120V. There are different coloured wires coming from it. The PC board has connections for 240V. It says to connect the green wire for 240V and there are 3 green wires coming from the transformer, does this mean that the transformer wouldn't need replaced?

As I said above, the only new part required is a 5p fuse. The tech will reconfigure the transformer so that the 120 and 110 primary windings are in series. It'll take him longer to open the case than to make the actual change.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JackLondon' post='858910' date='Jun 6 2010, 02:48 PM']I think they are all capable of being changed to any voltage, here's a pic of back of mine from UK

[attachment=51545:IMG_0278.JPG][/quote]

That says "For 120v 60Hz only". Not super encouraging pic.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='860501' date='Jun 7 2010, 11:04 PM']That says "For 120v 60Hz only". Not super encouraging pic.[/quote]

Before you get me running scared I think it means that the transformer is putting out 120V so the primary should be able to accept any voltage :)

[quote name='JackLondon' post='860687' date='Jun 8 2010, 09:17 AM']Before you get me running scared I think it means that the transformer is putting out 120V so the primary should be able to accept any voltage :)[/quote]

No, I think yours is a US import that has been converted to operate at 240V. You should actually check that it has the correct fuse for 240V operation, and not the original (higher current rated) one.

[quote name='JackLondon' post='860687' date='Jun 8 2010, 09:17 AM']Before you get me running scared I think it means that the transformer is putting out 120V so the primary should be able to accept any voltage :)[/quote]
120v on transistors?

there should be an internal jumper or switch that you can change to change the primary voltage

• 5 weeks later...