Why become a member? ×

Is it worth it...

BassBen

I have been offered an ampeg B2R bass head for £150, I do like the sound of the ampegs but I am worried it wont be loud enough with my barefaced compact being only 200watt at 8 ohm. Is it worth buying a power amp that does say 500watt into 8 ohm?

I have no idea what brands to look for or what I should pay for one?

Any suggestions would be a great help.

Many thanks,

Edited by BassBen

[quote name='BassBen' post='844314' date='May 21 2010, 04:13 PM']Cheers for getting back to me. I used to have a Peavey Firebass and that was 275 at 8 ohms. I had no problems with loudness. But say it wasnt what should i do?

Cheers,[/quote]

Get another Compact.

I had a SVT-3 pro once that output 275w at 8ohm but it seemed to under power my compact. Also I've head the B2r is kinda naff sounding. It's a cheap imitation of an ampeg sound and that's what it sounds like.
Although I haven't heard it myself.

If yu get it for the sound you'll be carry un wanted extra wieght as you'll need a power amp to help it drive the compact.

A cheaper and better option would be the bass driver or para driver from tech 21. Which faithfully gets that nice tube grindy tone. And then a power amp.