Why become a member? ×

Fretless Bass Book/DVD recommendations?

Linus27

Don't waste your time with books dedicated to fretless bass. The information that you will need to make yourself a great player is the same as you would get for fretted bass. Scales, chords, harmony, melody, rhythm. The 'fretlessness' of your bass is only relevant in that you have to make sure you play in tune. Its not magic, its hundreds of hours of practice and the discipline of listening to your self and playing with your ears and not your eyes.

Save your money or buy Mark Levines 'The Jazz Theory Book'. Books dedicated to fretless are pretty nonsensical. Millions of double bass players can't be wrong :)

PS I have played fretless pretty much exclusively for 24 years.

I would agree with bilbo , having said that I did find Steve Baileys book & dvd helpful, you can check out a lot of the content on you tube,also if you're playing an unlined fretless its worth putting a marker on the neck for the 1st fret position, that helped me a lot in the early days.Perseverence & practice will soon have you playing with you ears instead of your eyes ,all the best, mike b.

Thanks guys. I've played for over 20 years and recorded fretless before. Plus my ear is pretty strong. I just wondered if there was any material/books that might tell me something I don't already know. I'll just stick with what I'm doing for now then. Cheers.