Why become a member? ×

On the subject of weight...

Grand Wazoo

Going through an airport on my way back from France this morning, I stopped at an outlet, my attention got caught by this digital scale that it is used to weight luggage, with max capacity 35 Kilos. one hook at the bottom and a belt on top, I thought ah!! I could used that to accurately weight my basses! It was only a fiver so I took it home and tested it with a bag of sugar first, yep 1.00 kilos then 5 liters of water and it read it accurately as 5 kilos, so I started weighting all my basses and these are the readouts from each one of them in order of purchase...

1. PRS 4 - 3 x Single coils plus hum cancelling coil in the back - 2 band eq = 8,51lbs.00oz
2. PRS 5 - 3 x Single coils plus hum cancelling coil in the back - 2 band eq = 8,87lbs.00oz
3. Stingray 5 - Single H - no piezo - 3 band eq = 10lbs.00oz.
4. Bongo 5HH -Piezo saddles - 4 band eq = 9lbs.14oz.
5. 25th Anniversay 5 HSS - 4 band eq = 10lbs.08oz
6. Squier CV 50's Precision - 1 x single coil = 8lbs.15oz
7. Squier CV 60's Jazz - 2 x single coils = 9lbs.12oz.
8. Squier CV 60's Precision - 1 x split coil = 9lbs.04oz.
9. Fender CIJ 51 Reissue Precision - 1 x single coil = 10lbs.08oz.

Funny enough my lightest bass is the Squier CV 50's Precision and the heaviest is the Fender CIJ 50's Precision (Also I've just noticed the Fender CIJ 51 weights exactly as much as the 25th Anniversary EBMM)

Here is the scale I got:

How much do yours weight?

[quote name='flip' post='841862' date='May 19 2010, 11:26 AM']I tried weighing my basses with a fishing scale once and it seemed to give a different reading every time! Is this scale a bit more accurate?[/quote]

Yes mate, I was surprised as to how accurate it was, I first tested with the bag of sugar and a water jug with the reading on the side and each litre, gram or watever added was read accurately by the scale so, wow I really am impressed with it. What more can you ask for a fiver! I got it at the airport but my missus saw it for £4.75 in Morrisons (supermarket)

I just use what my mum has in the bathroom, but it's been accurate so far.

I wieghed my old power jazz that was 9.4 Lbs I think, only reads to one decimil point however. Still I thought that was heavy.

I'll wiegh in my other basses and maybe my whole bass rig as a comparison, and my own wieght.