Why become a member? ×

Warwick-ised Aria Pro II

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARIA-PRO-II-Avante-Neck-thu-Bass-WARWICK-upgrades-/220605908590?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item335d23066e"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARIA-PRO-II-Avante-N...=item335d23066e[/url]

I've not seen people using MEC electronics as upgrades before. Not that I claim that means much, I haven't looked that hard. I wonder if someone has cannibalised a Rockbass.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='837642' date='May 14 2010, 09:23 PM']I've not seen people using MEC electronics as upgrades before. Not that I claim that means much, I haven't looked that hard. I wonder if someone has cannibalised a Rockbass.[/quote]

A Rockbass wouldn't have active MECs. As to whether it 'is' an upgrade... Yes!

You'll not see MECs on anything other than Warwicks as MEC were bought out many moons ago by Warwick owner Hans Peter Wilfer. Pure conjecture on my part but allegedly (covering my backside :) ) when Warwick were made to pay full whack for their EMG pups (couldn't possibly comment on if this had anything to do with a certain Warwick / Spector dispute over licensing for the Streamer), Warwick started producing a fine 'representation' of an EMG pup in house - MEC. I've owned basses with MEC and EMG and I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in a blind test.

To buy an MEC pup direct from Warwick will set you back as much, if not more than ANY Seymour Duncan, EMG etc. In fact 129 Euro (per pup), the cheapest 3 way active MEC circuit is 289 euro! HOWEVER, I am assuming it is an active preamp as those pups do look like the genuine MEC active pups and not the passive dynamic correction jobbies. The caveat being that the bridge appears to be off a much cheaper Warwick than I would imagine the electronics appear to have come off. :rolleyes:

Could you put a price on this bass.
It ticks most of my boxes, apart from not actually being a Warwick, but Im struggling to find a proper warwick in my budget. This could potentialy give me the sound I want, and most of the look, but I have no idea what sort of money its worth.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='838374' date='May 15 2010, 07:46 PM']I'm confused. The adverts for Active Rockbass Corvettes say that they have active MEC J/J pickups. (or at least some of the adverts do in case there are different versions). Are these actually just passive pickups matched to active EQ?[/quote]

I have to say you look spot on with this one.

I'm not an officianado on Rockbasses as they are off the bottom of my radar (hope that doesn't sound snobbish, just a statement of fact); however, a quick search on-line does seem to show that at least some of the Rockbasses do have active MEC pups and an active EQ/preamp. I'd be frankly stunned if a Rockbass had the full on active MECs that appear in the top of the range NT basses made in Germany, if that were the case then there'd be very little point in EVER buying the electronics from Warwick direct... you may as well buy a Rockbass, rip the guts from it and sell the skeleton! :) :rolleyes:

Hmmmm time for some research methinks!

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='838599' date='May 16 2010, 06:01 AM']The Rockbass Corvette has an alder body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard it seems. Not that I'm saying that there's anything wrong with that choice of woods, but I don't think it could be further from the exotic wood choices found on real Warwicks.[/quote]

I dont think anyone would disagree with that, but the electronics on both the rockbass and the "proper" Warwicks are one and the same.. Except it seems the preamp, which I would imagine is pretty fundemental to the sound.

I emailed the guy selling this and he said he hopes to get a minimum of £350, but wants more. To me this seems a little steep, considering for not a great deal more you get a real one, although saying that, I have no idea how much or what quality the Aria is, so it could be a cracking price??

Well,totally unconnected,I got a sb700 and banged 2 emgs in it and a active circuit.Best thing I ever did(bass wise).Arias are made very well.I had a warwick thumb for 15 years or so and this is a combo definately worth a punt.Hope we dont all bid on it.Ha ha.

The pickups are exactly the same as the ones found on the German Warwicks, there is a really simple rule of thumb for MEC

if the MEC logo is silver - passive
If its gold - Active

Also as far as I am aware there has not been a RockBass with gold hardware, they always come with chrome which says to me the hardware is off a German WW or it has all been bought seperatly.

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='839004' date='May 16 2010, 04:03 PM']Isn't the Avante Korean made rather than made in Japan?[/quote]

Some of the standard models, yes. But most of the high-end, signature and custom shop models were made in Japan.