Why become a member? ×

Anyone use a SD-1 for bass?

richrips

Hi,

I have a mint SD-1 which i got in a trade. I heard a few rumours that it could work on bass. Has anyone got experience of this? I want to use it as a warmer distortion when my fuzz is too much. Is there a simple mod to let more bass through? I've seen the 5 star mod but can't find any samples.

Simple capacitor swap for a useable bass distortion? or a waste of time which should be flogged to a G££££££ player?

For reference, the sound in my head is off the intro to this Curtis Mayfield song....cant find the original but you know it!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2iRWCAvW3w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2iRWCAvW3w[/url]

Anyone with experience with the SD-1??

Cheers,
Rich

If you can grab a cheap looper or Boss LS-1 so theyou can mix a dry bass one in as well - I think it will sound pretty good yeah. The stock pedal loses a lot of bottom end so you'll need to keep that in, if you don't wantg to dissapear into the depths of the mix!

The Boss SD-1 is essentialy a Tube-Screamer. It has some internal filtering to cut the lower frequencies that unfortunately kills all the lower notes on a bass guitar.

The best way to make the SD-1 more bass friendly is obviously mod the pedal. A blender can help but it is not the same thing that increasing the low frequency response. Without modding the pedal, the lower frequencies will never be processed.

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='richrips' post='837101' date='May 14 2010, 01:05 PM']Anyone with experience with the SD-1??

Cheers,
Rich[/quote]

yeah, they were too heavy, didnt go round corners, leaked quite badly and they were built by rover, however some of them had V8s so it wasnt all that bad:)

[quote name='EOS650' post='837144' date='May 14 2010, 01:51 PM']I've had a similar issue with using guitar pedals with bass. The bottom end is gone. Can an EQ fix that?[/quote]
It depends.

Without going into too may technical details, if the pedal filters the lower frequency completey, there is no way to fix the problem with an EQ.

If the cut is not too agressive and it takes place only at the lower end of the spectrum, a little bit of EQ can help.

Hey thanks to everyone who has replied so far. seen a few mods on the web for such things as blends with dry signal and potentially a low pass filter mod, but don't really want to take the sd-1 apart without hearing from someone who has used it on bass with/without mods. Sure it is a guitar pedal, but some of the best bass fx are modded guitar pedals (woolly mammoth anyone?) so ideally i'm looking for a few component swaps (caps/resistors etc) to let that bottom end through!

Any takers???

Found a thread on talkbass with comparisons but the soundclip links are dead...

Any help much appreciated,

Rich