Why become a member? ×

Using a double bypass loop as an A/B/C selector

pete.young

I need a pedal which will allow me to select one of three basses, and turn the other two off so they don't resonate or start feeding back.

THere's a mega-expensive pedal called the 'Trinity' which does this, but I'm not into spending 150 quid on a fancy switch, so I was wondering whether I could use my Double-loop bypass (which no-one seems to want to buy) like this:

Bass 1 into the normal input. Loops switched out, Bass 1 out of the output.

Bass 2 into the 'effects return' of one of the loops. Select the loop - output is bass 2 - no sound from bass 1 because there's nothing coming out of the 'send' .

Bass 3 - ditto but into the other loop. Use the loop switch to swap between basses 2 and 3.

I guess the obvious way to figure this out is to try it, but in the meantime can anyone find a reason why this won't work? I know there may be gain issues but I think it should be possible to balance the volume controls.

Why don't you just simply mute your signal (with a tuner pedal for example) and use the same cable for all your 3 bases? Just need to unplug the bass, lay it down on the stand, pick another up and connect the jack!
I used to play with 2 bases, a electric and a acoustic bass and used a Boss AB-2 to switch betwen both but the trouble you get from keeping the cables from wrapping arround themselves or even your legs simply isn't worth the trouble... and you save more battery having them disconnected (if active).

As for your use of the looper i guess you'll have no problem with it. Go either way :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='836984' date='May 14 2010, 11:03 AM']Why don't you just simply mute your signal (with a tuner pedal for example) and use the same cable for all your 3 bases? Just need to unplug the bass, lay it down on the stand, pick another up and connect the jack!
I used to play with 2 bases, a electric and a acoustic bass and used a Boss AB-2 to switch betwen both but the trouble you get from keeping the cables from wrapping arround themselves or even your legs simply isn't worth the trouble... and you save more battery having them disconnected (if active).

As for your use of the looper i guess you'll have no problem with it. Go either way :)[/quote]

One reason is that they don't all have 6mm jacks. It's a good point about the leads though.

[quote name='pete.young' post='837004' date='May 14 2010, 11:20 AM']One reason is that they don't all have 6mm jacks. It's a good point about the leads though.[/quote]

Oh, that's a problem... even using a adaptor the baterry issue woudn't be fixed... i'm guessing the other plug is a XLR (probably a acoustic bass), you could have a XLR to 6mm (female) Jack adaptor but isn't very practical unless you would leave it connected to that bass.

[quote name='keeponehandloose' post='837071' date='May 14 2010, 12:31 PM'](...)
Each press of the pedal scrolls through and mutes the other 2.[/quote]

That's not realy a good thing cause you may have to go by one of the basses to switch to the one you want and if it is on and you didn' cut it's volume it can make noise!