Why become a member? ×

SVT4pro Biamp Lows Cab

Kraken

ok,

I have an SVT 4 pro and a 610HLF and I currently run full range through the 610 HLF from one of the power amps in the SVT 4 PRO.

I am wanting to run another cab from the other Power amp just for low frequencies. that is small enough to be used as a full range cab for smaller gigs.

Ideally I'm looking for a 2x10 or 2x12 cab that can take the output of one of the power amps (500Watts ish RMS at 4 Ohms) that has a decent enough Low End response to take the Biamping.

I realise this is quite an ask for such a little cab but figured if anyone would know, it'd be you people.

let me know

[quote name='Kraken' post='836100' date='May 13 2010, 12:57 PM']ok,

I have an SVT 4 pro and a 610HLF and I currently run full range through the 610 HLF from one of the power amps in the SVT 4 PRO.

I am wanting to run another cab from the other Power amp just for low frequencies. that is small enough to be used as a full range cab for smaller gigs.

Ideally I'm looking for a 2x10 or 2x12 cab that can take the output of one of the power amps (500Watts ish RMS at 4 Ohms) that has a decent enough Low End response to take the Biamping.

I realise this is quite an ask for such a little cab but figured if anyone would know, it'd be you people.

let me know[/quote]
why not get a 15 for the lows

I am assuming that you aren't getting enough low end volume from the 610? If this is the case, I am AMAZED! It's a naturally 'bass present' cab so I'd like to offer you an alternative to having a second cab.

Run the SVT4 in bridge mode straight in to the 610 - then if you want more bass - don't crank the bass control, DROP your mids a touch. When you bring the volume up ,there will be a far higher perception of additional bottom end. If I need to, I like to scoop around the 350Hz frequency as this can make a cab sound deeper and less boxy.

If you still think you need more bottom end - I would mebbe shy away from a 2x10 as it will only add mid bottom, not deep bottom (*90% of 2x10's on the market, that is) - A specific 'sub' cabinet maybe better if you want to move more lowend air with the 610. Something like a tuned cabinet loaded with an Eminence 3015LF. - but then you get in to phase issues so you might not gain as much anyway.

I reckon, in the long run you'll be better off with plan A though! - I'd get fed up with carrying sub cabs as well - that bottom end should be being looked after by FOH PA.

Try it, let me know how you get on!

Don't get me wrong, the 610 HLF is fantastic nice and punchy with some decent lows, low mids and highs. lets make sure that there is no confusion, it produces the sound I want.

I, like a lot of other people I am sure (Honestly back me up here folks), just always seem to want more...

it was an option in the manual for the SVT4 and I've heard it recommended as a Bi-amp option elsewhere and thought it would be nice to try.

the other side of this (and the reason why I would prefer a 2x10 or 2x12 rather than a 15 or 18 - I did consider it honestly) is that the other cab could then be used to accommodate smaller stages that we sometimes play while still providing that 'punchiness' that only seems to come with 10 and 12 inch speakers.

I agree FOH should be handling the proper low end (important part of that of course is 'should')

something else I've considered - although I'm not sure yet how I would transport it as well is to get another 610 HLF and run one either side of the drumkit.

not sure what my drummer would make of it though and it may not suit the smaller stages... but for the bigger ones it would be cool! (my opinion of what is 'cool' may not actually be 'cool' but I don't care)

Sticking a cab either side of the drummer isn't great. Tried it with a pair of 8x10s and the comb filtering was very noticeable.

You are unlikely to get a cab that will stand alone and give a sub option in addition to your 6x10, unless you get a cab with a dedicated mid driver, which would pretty much replace your 6x10.