Why become a member? ×

Matsumoku mathematics

Paul S

Thought I'd fill an idle moment in the lull before going on holiday by sharing some pics of my recent spell of Matsumoku madness.

It all started with the Washburn Scavenger bass, which has been banded about in other threads a bit recently, and which I bought just a few months ago:

[attachment=49313:wash8.jpg] [attachment=49314:wash2.jpg] [attachment=49315:wash3.jpg] [attachment=49316:wash4.jpg] [attachment=49317:wash5.jpg] [attachment=49318:wash6.jpg]

Typical fairy story 'lived in original owner's auntie's loft for 25 years' - still had plastic cover on the rear pot cover plate, no fretwear, hardly a scratch on it etc etc. I was completely blown away by it - the quality, playability and sound. Weighs about 3cwt and is neck heavy but I forgive it any flaw. Cost me £175 and worth double, I reckon.

So, that was it - I became hooked on Matsumoku - the whole idea of entry level guitars being made to such a high standard is just so appealing. I and started to take a peek on eBay to see what came along. Well, not too long later, this did - a Westone Thunder 1T guitar. Bought for an incredible £37.70 - incredibly another 'lofty one' I kid you not, and filthy dirty when I picked it up. 200 mile round trip to collect, spent a little getting it cleaned, set up etc but one heck of a lot of a guitar for a spend of around £100. One of the guitards in one of my bands recently bought a Gibson Les Paul studio and I reckon this is it's match:

[attachment=49319:westone2.jpg] [attachment=49320:westone3.jpg] [attachment=49321:westone4.jpg] [attachment=49322:westone5.jpg]

So then I got the idea I might want a Westone Thunder bass to match. Started to look on eBay and this Westone Thunder Jet came along - winning bid was £72 including the original hard case, collect only from Wimbledon. Fate - I was going to Wimbledon for something work related that week, literally 2 minutes drive from where this lived. New strings, clean and set up sorted out any immediate problems. I now have a well used but superb quality back up instrument:

[attachment=49323:westone14.jpg] [attachment=49324:westone15.jpg] [attachment=49325:westone16.jpg] [attachment=49326:westone17.jpg]

Then, just a few days afterwards I was made an offer I couldn't refuse on this Thunder 1A, bought for £110. Again, a clean, set up and new strings has brought this back to life - it really is good.

[attachment=49327:westone9.jpg] [attachment=49328:westone10.jpg] [attachment=49329:westone11.jpg] [attachment=49330:westone12.jpg]

A pretty handsome foursome which, in terms of total cash outlay cost around the same as my Fender Jaguar. Is the jaguar better? I'd like to say yes but, actually, I can't. Although very different to the Scavenger, for example, it is no better. I had always read of the devoted following these guitars get, now I know why. I look forward to getting to know them all a lot better this year and can hardly wait to pick them up.