Why become a member? ×

GB Spitfire 5 String by Bernie Goodfellow

EBS_freak

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='245788' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:39 PM']Hmm, its not bad.........

its stunning!

Nick[/quote]

Cheers dude - thought you'd seen it before!? One too many strings for your taste I am guessing??

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='245818' date='Jul 23 2008, 01:05 AM']I've just gone and bought a 6 string JayDee Calibas bass - going to get back into the extended range (had a Nightingale 6 many years ago but never really got on with it so the time has now come to tame the beast!)[/quote]

Ah - the Roger Innis one? He's a top player, I get to see him a lot as he's local. Enjoy the taming!

That's a real beauty sir!!

Just to add my +1 to Bernie, my main gigging bass for the last 9 years has been my trusty GBIV.

Build quality is fantastic and it's a rock solid bass suitable for all type of music. The output from the onboard actives is absolutely phenomenal, as is the range of useable sounds.

I've never had to have it re-set up, never had to tweak the neck, nothing! Just change the batteries once in a while (you even know when they're going to pot 'cos of the flashing red LED visible through the smoked perspex cavity plate - class!).

I've been seriously thinking of changing my 5-string Warwick and now have baaaad GAS!!

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='246060' date='Jul 23 2008, 01:31 PM']That's a real beauty sir!!

Just to add my +1 to Bernie, my main gigging bass for the last 9 years has been my trusty GBIV.

Build quality is fantastic and it's a rock solid bass suitable for all type of music. The output from the onboard actives is absolutely phenomenal, as is the range of useable sounds.

I've never had to have it re-set up, never had to tweak the neck, nothing! Just change the batteries once in a while (you even know when they're going to pot 'cos of the flashing red LED visible through the smoked perspex cavity plate - class!).

I've been seriously thinking of changing my 5-string Warwick and now have baaaad GAS!![/quote]

Come on then - post a picture of your GB!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='NickThomas' post='318006' date='Oct 29 2008, 10:31 PM']I saw a close relative of this bass last week . I might be mistaken but I think it was one of the ones Bernie built at the same time.
Owned by a fella named Dan ( he's a member on here) and it sounded absolutely thunderous!!
Looked ok too :)[/quote]

Not quite at the same time... but it is near enough and it was built to the same spec as Dan (Humphries) to give him his full name!) saw "The Bentley" just before the bass show in Manchester last year (at least I think it was last year!)

The attached is Dan's Spitfire at Hove... but I believe it has been stripped down since then to have the burst added around the edge like mine.

Dan's a top bloke! I have met him a few times and he says hi to me now and again on the old facebook. Got to keep the family in touch eh? Again, he's an EBS fan.

[attachment=15361:dansspitfire.jpg]

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='318025' date='Oct 29 2008, 11:05 PM']Not quite at the same time... but it is near enough and it was built to the same spec as Dan (Humphries) to give him his full name!) saw "The Bentley" just before the bass show in Manchester last year (at least I think it was last year!)

The attached is Dan's Spitfire at Hove... but I believe it has been stripped down since then to have the burst added around the edge like mine.

Dan's a top bloke! I have met him a few times and he says hi to me now and again on the old facebook. Got to keep the family in touch eh? Again, he's an EBS fan.

[attachment=15361:dansspitfire.jpg][/quote]

Yes he was playing through a small but huge sounding ebs rig .. hd350 and a 2x10 .

• 2 years later...

Now that is a nice spitfire, take it thats walnut?

Am going for walnut. Mine will be a four string though

Just ordered mine this week but am thinking about ordering a 5 string as well now

I have never played a bass that is any where near as good as a GB, i really wanted a Wal but after playing and hearing a GB every thing sounded flat and not enough growl. So that said sold my sadowsky and went and saw bernie staright away. best decsion i ever made

Edited by Jimmyp28

[quote name='Jimmyp28' post='1045543' date='Dec 2 2010, 07:49 PM']Now that is a nice spitfire, take it thats walnut?[/quote]

Yup, walnut with a burr walnut top.

[quote]Am going for walnut. Mine will be a four string though[/quote]

Similar to this one then...? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11329"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11329[/url]

[quote]Just ordered mine this week but am thinking about ordering a 5 string as well now[/quote]

Would make a killer pair of basses.

[quote]I have never played a bass that is any where near as good as a GB, i really wanted a Wal but after playing and hearing a GB every thing sounded flat and not enough growl. So that said sold my sadowsky and went and saw bernie staright away. best decsion i ever made[/quote]

Welcome to the dark side :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1045799' date='Dec 2 2010, 11:00 PM']Yup, walnut with a burr walnut top.

Similar to this one then...? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11329"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11329[/url]

Would make a killer pair of basses.

Welcome to the dark side :lol:[/quote]

If it looks as good as that am a happy bunny indeed although i have gone for an ebony finger board so mine will be super duper dark from head to toe, will have to call her the black beauty me thinks... yeah thats right gibson, you heard am cailling her the balck beauty :)

Just wish i had a time machine and then i would be really happy :)

At some point the basses might have the picture taken together, you never know.

Edited by Jimmyp28

• 1 year later...