Why become a member? ×

P Bass

hillbilly deluxe

About 12 or so years ago i had a very nice '68 Precision,but,i wanted a Jazz Pickup at the bridge and just could'nt take the plunge and get one fitted.So,it got traded for something else.I missed that bass almost from day 1.
Howard (Bass Doc ) has made me a few basses in the past,but since i moved to Glasgow 8 years ago,we lost contact untill i started visiting this site,and low and behold there was a guy who's avatar was a picture of a nun holding a P type bass,it had to be Howard.I got in touch with him just before X-mass looking to re-create my old P bass,sent a deposit,and work started.
The bass was collected on Saturday,and used on that nights gig.To say im pleased with the result is a Massive understatement.The PIs a perfect stablemate to my Jazz 5 that i had Howard build for me about 9 years ago.
My spec included the body to have the correct contours,as i just ca'nt live with the freshly routed then painted look where you can see a line around the edges where the flat of the top is'nt sanded into the curvature of the sides.Jazz width neck,correct pattern tort scratch plate,nickel hardware,threaded rod type saddles,chrome covers,reverse tuners,and my usual EMG select pickups.
Heres the result.In some of the pics the red/yellow looks bright,but that's due to my camera/skills.
It may not be period correct in some ways,but it's the way my old '68 was,with the exception of the Jazz width neck.

Thanks Howard.

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='828195' date='May 5 2010, 09:48 AM']I just need an EB3 to complete the package now.Hmmmm,who makes the best short scale EB3 type ?[/quote]
That P is just glorious congratulations to builder and owner!

On the question, Alembic do a nice copy.