Why become a member? ×

TO GO: 2 ton trolley jack

hubrad

.. as it says in the title, lifts, but there's a slow leak past the piston or release valve so it drops very slowly - if you're doing a really boring job you can watch it! :)
Anyway, I got another at last so this is up for grabs.

edit: meant to say.. hence axle stands are a must! :rolleyes:

Edited by hubrad

[quote name='MB1' post='826518' date='May 3 2010, 02:54 PM']MB1. :)
...Just when you thought it was safe!... to come out from under the car? :rolleyes:[/quote]
Yup.. to make it even more fun I have one of those Citroens with the hydraulic suspension.. deadly in the wrong hands.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='826557' date='May 3 2010, 03:45 PM']They always are if you're doing anything under a vehicle . . . . however 'good' the jack.[/quote]
True, true, but I mean even just changing a wheel!
I'm not really selling this, am I? Then again, that's why I got another and this one is in the Recycling section.
Chances are that someone who knows hydraulic jacks will be able to fix it anyway, most likely a bit of muck in just the wrong place. In the mean time you just have to get the car up there and axle stand it to keep it high.

Agreed. Axle stands are not really needed for just changing a wheel - but even so, I always assume the jack could fail at any moment and keep feet, legs and everything else as clear as possible and certainly not underneath anything.

Thing is, trolly jacks used to be pretty expensive but a new 2-ton model can be bought for £20 or less, so they're hardly worth bothering to repair.
Crazy really, but that's globalisation and child labour for you.