Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Joined the Sandberg brigade.....

Rumble

Right I've just joined the Sandberg club with a California jj5. Having tried several Sandberg in a shop a few years ago and never being that impressed, I took the plunge and have to say, my, how things have changed. It has a really great tone all over the fretboard and as much as it pains me to say it, I actually find it slightly easier to play that the F bass. Given that the string spacing is pretty much the same and the action is the same, I can only think that it's the neck radius that's making me feel this way. My only criticism of the Sandberg is that it feels a little head heavy in sitting and standing, against the F bass which balances like a dream.

I have three questions:
1) Is there anyway I can make the Sandberg less prone to heading south in the neck?
2) Is it possible to shim down the F bass neck to give it a more jazz-like profile?
3) should I just flog both and get a Sadowsky (jazz bass feel and sound with the quality of the F bass)?!

All opinions welcome....as long as they're constructive ;-)

Does the Sandberg have lightweight tuners? If not a set of Hipshot's would help. The other thing to consider is a Mono strap. With reard to the F bass, yes it is possible but is it really necessary - sometimes a new bass feels different but that does not necessarily mean better. I used to think that I would like a slimmer neck for my P Bass and 'Ray, but after playing them for a 20 minutes or so I get back into the shape and feel of them.

I have to say that it's not so bad on the strap, but when playing in the sitting position I have to brace the Sandberg with my right arm so that the headstock doesn't head south. I'm just not used to doing this with the F bass.

I know different is not necessarily worse or better, but going on the 'feel' and the fact that the thinner neck seems to feel easier to move around on, I just wondered....

I think t is a good thing to always wear the strap anyway...so the bass always sits in the right place...but then my bass sits quite high but at least it is consistant.

If the bass has to have fundemental changes made to it..I'd be inclined to sell and get one that works all round.

Having checked up on the Sandberg website, the tuners are Sandberg's own and it mentions nothing about them being particularly lightweight. The other issue I've read up about is the relative position to the fretboard where the top horn ends. The Sandberg top horn ends around the 13th/14th fret instead of the balancing gold-standard, 12th fret.

It might be something that I'll get used to, especially given the excellent tone it generates, but I'd be interested to know if any other Sandberg owner's have noticed the same issue?

Ultralites make quite a difference - if you imagine, say, 50g per tuner at the farthest point from the top strap button, it can make all the difference.
I don't generally like necks with high shoulders - you can have it reshaped but there's always a risk that you take too much off. Best done by an experienced luthier.
That said I've always found F-basses to have very fast, comfortable necks so maybe it is just acclimatisation... new can often appear "better".

I know what you mean about newer appearing better, but there is just something about the Sandberg neck that feels very comfortable. Having checked the F bass site, it would appear that there's a very significant variance in the radius measurements of the BN5 necks - 10"-16" - that's quite a variance isn't it?

Having just checked out the cost of the Hipshot Ultralights, I think I'll be trying to get used to the tuners currently installed!!

On a slightly different note - isn't it funny how tastes change. I remember loathing a Markbass head that I had sometime ago, but took a punt recently and got another one and I love it. I also remember trying numerous Sandberg's in the past and never really been that bothered about them, but I really like the tone of the one I have. Bit like Malt Whiskey and Guiness!