Why become a member? ×

jools holland now

MythSte

[quote name='ste_m3' post='89190' date='Nov 15 2007, 11:46 PM']just had this on in the background kinda thing, and i saw the intros, and one of the bands has a row of hartke cabs in front of the drummer, no joke, like 5 in a row...

could be interesting?[/quote]

One of the bands? One of the bands? That's Jack Bruce you're talking about. Actually, I caught the last few bars of Sunshine of your love and thought it was pants.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='89395' date='Nov 16 2007, 01:53 PM']yeah, not the best fretless playing ive ever seen

nevermind eh[/quote]

Agreed, Ive never rated JB anyway and that performance was mediocre. Why does he use a fretless? Pointless for his type of music.

Just my tuppence like, but I really enjoyed his performance... although I found the sloppy bongos and the lead guitar over doing it in his 15sec of fame a bit dodgy. And the fact that he wanted to put a slant on this frequently covered classic by using a fretless (and 2 drummers - ???) is perfectly ok in my book. And for an old boy his vocals kicked ass too.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='90278' date='Nov 18 2007, 02:50 PM']Just my tuppence like, but I really enjoyed his performance... although I found the sloppy bongos and the lead guitar over doing it in his 15sec of fame a bit dodgy. And the fact that he wanted to put a slant on this frequently covered classic by using a fretless (and 2 drummers - ???) is perfectly ok in my book. And for an old boy his vocals kicked ass too.[/quote]

Cream wrote that song.. If it was cream who were playing and not just some Jack Bruce sideproject?

Cmon people, one of the most important bands ever! They always get overlooked.

[quote name='theosd' post='90465' date='Nov 18 2007, 08:22 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mqZqhTl4A8&feature=related"]Check this out.[/url][/quote]

OK, in recent years, it's not been great, but that was pretty good on the whole :)
Great clip.

The only ropey bit of his playing was the dodgy intonation on the high chorus part at the end. My problem with the performance is that it suffered from the usual Later with Jools Holland blight of being overblown and over-embellished. The original was performed by one of 'the' power trios, so the army of backing singers of percussionsts kind of ruins the feel.

Very good clip by the way. I thick playing a fretless suits his sounds. I remember reading an old intervew where he said he sets the EQ on his Hartke to an unhappy face - you can hear how wellit cuts through! I've never played a Warwick Thumb. Is it just me or are the necks THAT thick?