Why become a member? ×

Epifani 502 & Epifani Picallo Amps

Chris Horton

Seems to work best with Epi cabs.

Immediately useable tone, loud, reliable and light.

Used mine for 2+ years firstly with a UL310 and then with UL112/T112NYC.

Sold it when I got an Orange AD200B. :)

I've been using one for around 3 years - the prices have come down in the UK and I'd say they're a good buy. Reasonably light, powerful and very clean. Very immediate and present - agile and responsive. Quite a hifi tone, and very hifi with a hifi bass (Sei etc.). Great for jazz and fusion, and can be hard- edged for finger funk. Ver even across the range - I don't find the highs brittle (with an Epi cab) - probably more 'airy' (this is how I've found them described). As OBBM says, great tone out of the box but eminently teakable (low and hi mids are easily controlled and boominess or boxiness in a live setting can be eliminated without much hassle). I don't use a lot of grit in my tone so haven't tried to get that. However, I've used the amp for bluesy rock and it performed really well - a big, fat, dark tone with a Warwick SSII. At around £650-700 second hand, these are a steal (and build quality is superb). I've had mine up against a LMII - I was impressed by the latter but the Epi was streets ahead in the departments that matter to me.

Edited by lozbass