Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wow, this guy is good with a great tone...

iconic

I have been watching this guys playing on this Slave 'choon' and to me it's astonishing..and seems quite different..his right hand is sooooo loose and flowing with fingers outstretched when slapping....thought I'd share it....and what a great track too!

Edited by iconic

Mark Adams of Slave is one of the most unsung heroes of the funk bass world. He had a tone that was massive and slightly more overdriven than the other players of his era. It's actually hard to tell whether or not he was slapping or just hitting the strings really hard.

This guy has nailed Adams' tone and style. The US slap players tended to use more thumb than pluck, unlike Mark King, who introduced a much more percussive left hand/right hand drum rudiment style.

I urge everyone to check out the Slave back catalogue. Mark Adams is amazing!

:)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='806508' date='Apr 14 2010, 08:56 PM']That man wears hats and sunglasses indoors a bit too often for my liking.

If your boiler is broken and you have a migraine, then you can wear a hat and sunglasses indoors and not be presumed a bit of a Bono.[/quote]

I'd wear a hat, sunglasses and a sequinned tutu if I'd could have an ounce of this guys talent :)

Edited by iconic

[quote name='steve-soar' post='806482' date='Apr 14 2010, 08:26 PM']Varoooom, is a bassists equivalent to a matadors cape.[/quote]

Good analogy of 'Varooom' Steve :)
Love a bit of varooom myself. Seem to remember John Taylor also being an exponent of this technique back in the day.
Not enough varooom in today's music, definitely due a comeback.

[quote name='nick' post='806579' date='Apr 14 2010, 09:47 PM']Good analogy of 'Varooom' Steve :rolleyes:
Love a bit of varooom myself. Seem to remember John Taylor also being an exponent of this technique back in the day.
Not enough varooom in today's music, definitely due a comeback.[/quote]

NAH! JT was more of a Vrooom-room player. :)