Why become a member? ×

RS210 just arrived

davidmpires

Hi all

So yesterday I received my RS210 which I was quite looking forward as it has been enjoying lots of great reviews and I needed another cab to go on top of the Compact.
I tried the cab on its own and I was pleasantly surprised by the sound, Granted not as loud as the Compact but a good sounding cab with some emphasis on the highs. I found that I like to open the highs on the horn about ¼ and that works fine more than that and you start to sound a bit Marcus Miller without the technique. A little too tin for my liking.

Then the real test started Compact on the floor RS on top, they seem a match made in heaven as they are about as deep as each other and both rugged surfaces make for a steady rig that won’t go anywhere. Mark Bass F1 running both cabs and off we go.

First impressions, WOW this rig is tall, albeit a small floor print. Me likes this, being 6 foot and having a tall rig behind me gives me somewhat a sense of power :) plus the F1 is at my chest height and the knobs are clearly accessible.
The best sound I was getting was with the F1 all flat and the horn only open ¼ on the rs and using the Spector with halfway boot on the highs and lows, both pickups full on, This gave me a great funk sound with dirt enough to cut when going to a higher register, when more treble is needed and less bass I just rolled back the neck pickup and it was bliss.

I now need to test it with my T-bass but the Spector was the test I needed it was the main reason why I thought about having a new cab as I kept messing about with the EQ with no success.

I have now taken my Compact from the for sale section and should be a happy bunny for years to come. Hopefully, I’m tired of spending money on gear. Literally. 

I’ll take photos soon, but at the moment my gear is in the studio and the light was poor.

David

Thanks for that David. It sounds good.

I have only tried my Markbass cmd121 combo on top of the Compact and it sounds OK in rehearsals but I've posted a question in another thread hoping for a more technical response on the pairing.

I was hoping you would buy a Midget so that you could test that setup for me before I take the plunge. Not that I really need two cabs, but you know what it's like. :)

Frank

[quote name='Musicman20' post='804922' date='Apr 13 2010, 02:45 PM']Id be interested to hear your thoughts on the F1 with the RS210 on its own. Its almost like an opposite voicing, which can be great, eg the F1 is very quick, modern and clean, whereas the RS210 is quite sweet and almost slightly vintage in its tone.[/quote]

I should be going to the studio for a true test with them sometime soon, I'll be sure to post something.

I only played about 5 minutes with the rs on it's on but indeed it sounds like some eq might be needed if trying to cut through a full band. Not sure it would hold its own in a five piece indie rock band.

But as an add on, it has tammed my sound and it sounds great with the Compact