Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Hexa Valve

PURPOLARIS

I walked into one of our local music shops today and came across a Trace Elliot Hexa Valve. I've got to say I was a bit intrigued so asked the owner about it. Apparently it belongs to a customer that might want to sell it but it needs valves replacing etc. I noticed it only has one speaker output but it does have an ohm selector so that shouldn't be a problem. I've put my name down and asked him to contact me when he knows more. Does anyone have any experience of this amp head and any idea how much it might be worth ?

Can we form an orderly queue, :)

Not sure on numbers made, but I think not many and they have a certain mystique. But, Twin Valve £250-400, Quattra £350-550, guessing Hexa starts at £500 and on, plus also the rarity value. If you like the GP11 pre then you can't go wrong, they really did get those pre's spot on, I love my Twin and its GP7 pre.

[quote name='SS73' post='801326' date='Apr 9 2010, 10:20 PM']Can we form an orderly queue, :rolleyes:

Not sure on numbers made, but I think not many and they have a certain mystique. But, Twin Valve £250-400, Quattra £350-550, guessing Hexa starts at £500 and on, plus also the rarity value. If you like the GP11 pre then you can't go wrong, they really did get those pre's spot on, I love my Twin and its GP7 pre.[/quote]

The shop owner mentioned it will probably be around the £800 mark :) It will have been serviced and obviously I'll give it a blast before deciding on anything. I also need to find out what the market price for it is but there's not a lot of information on the web.

• 1 year later...

I have owned a Hexa valve head since 1996 and have been very pleased with its performance. The sound it produces is clean and warm and is suited to all kind of styles including slap. At high volumes it remains fairly clean but gets fatter and less distinctive so fine for rock but not if you are looking for tight sound. It sounds similar to an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro but with more of an Hifi element. It will not distort easily so if you want a grungy tone, you have to use some sort of effects pedal with it. The amp has been very reliable and I have never had any major problems. It is a quality built amp built inside as well as outside in a time when Trace Elliot did not cut corners. Mine is fitted with 6550 valves, which I believe sound somewhat cleaner than the KT88 that it can also accept. There are 2 speaker outputs, one is a regular jack and the other is an XLR and it produces 380 watts into 2 or 4 ohm. I recommend this amp but it all depends what you are looking for so you should have a good listen before you commit to buying it. I hope this helps.