Why become a member? ×

Optima Strings

chud

Hey guys.

I normally use Optima strings ( chrome 45-105), mainly because i know the main dealer and i get them cheap :rolleyes: . They [u]seem[/u] to do the job but what does everyone else think about these strings?

Also, i want to try out new strings to compare but can't afford to go out and buy a load, so can anyone share their knowledge with me and give me some advice on what would be best. I know different strings suit different styles of playing and what sound your going for and to acheive this you have to find whats best for you, but as i said i'm a poor man :) . I play with my fingers and the sound im trying to acheive and the style im similar to is dirk lance (incubus-science) and josh paul (suicidal tendencies-free your soul and save my mind). So i want nice lows when keeping it to a tight groove with warm highs when doing a fill or doing a bit of tapping/slapping. I've got the equipment to pull the sound off, just need the right string and gauge for something like this.

Any advice welcome!

Edited by chud

Never tried Optima. I've tried a zillion different makes and seemed most impressed with Ernie Ball Coated...they lasted well and sounded and played nice (to me, anyway). Not cheap, though.

I just bought a Jazz that's got DRs on it and they sound nice.

If you don't want to spend a fortune, you probably can't go wrong with Elites, as there's some good deals on them.

I use Optima. The gold versions a la Entwistle. Aside from the fact that they look amazing they sound great.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/optima_2319.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/optima_2319.htm[/url]

I used to use Elites which were okay. Then Rotosounds which were reasonable. Then when I got my buzzard I started using Status' strings which last forever. I then thought I'd try something else and the Optima Gold are probably the best set I've ever used. Nice mid range crunch. They certainly work for the tapping sort of stuff.

I remember when these were £16 from Thomann and that was only a year or 2 ago.

I've used both types and personally, the closest I can find is Ernie Ball Slinkies - not the coated ones (haven't tried them) but the standard nickel ones. Think its the Hybrid set I use.

There's a seller on Ebay doing 3 sets for £32 delivered. That's what i am using just now - don't feel rich enough to start spending £25 on a set of strings when i can get 3 sets for slightly more