Why become a member? ×

hey

fatfehn

Hey, I'm Laurence. I'm 15 and from Dover, and love music. alot. I play Bass, as well as electric guitar, and I try my hand at keyboards. I am currently in a band with my friend Simon, called Slushy Related Accidents. We mainly play metal. I love bass, and have been playing for about a year and a half.

I have one really crappy bass, that I have been beginning on. I have just bought an Ashton AB800 online, as I have heard great reviews on them. It was quite cheap and I wonder if anyone has any reviews on them for me? thanks :)

I am not the best bassist, but I think Im okay. I really hope you guys here can help me out. thanks :rolleyes:

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I should think there are many people on here who started with a "crappy" bass, but like everything else, it takes a little time and effort to find out what works for you - I still have my first bass from around 37 years ago - and I still play it from time to time.

I don't have any personal experience of the Ashton range, but if memory serves me correctly, there was a thread in the Build Diaries section, where some-one used one as the starting point for a home custom project.

Take care, keep practicing and make sure you delve into the theory - it's the only way to improve

Welcome
For you at 15 (the same age I started a mere 39 years ago). Get hold of some of the late sixties and early seventies rock recordings the more vague the better in the early days.
The facts were without the technology around those bassist in early metal 4 piece bands (especially Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath) and Andy Fraser from Free JPJ Led Zepp and John Entwhistle from The Who would not only have to bolster the bottom line but when live provide a rhythm section for the lead to build on so you had to move away from some of the repetitive bass "grooves.
In three piece bands such as Cream, Mountain, early Grand Funk(Railroad) Bass lines were a combination of bottom line rhythm and lead in some cases especially Noel Redding with Jimi Hendrix a lot of what he did went by the board because of the marvel of Hendrix himself. Early Chris Squire from Yes takes some copying as well.
Listen and study and back it up with some sound musical rules and not only will you have a brilliant hobby, but a lifetime of pleasure.

[i](My personal view but not necessarily those of the site or the rest of the participants[/i] :) ) but good luck.

I feel I should get the Werther's out now!!
There are some brilliant "inside the band" DVDs of some early rock bands which may help as well. :rolleyes:

[quote name='purpleblob' post='796840' date='Apr 5 2010, 06:58 PM']Welcome. Take heart as today's crappy basses are a damn site better than the crappy basses I played as a kid :)

Listen if it's playable and keeps you learning, practising and enjoying yourself then it's a good bass. Anyway, welcome.[/quote]
Very true.

Welcome to basschat