Why become a member? ×

Another cab on top of the Compact

davidmpires

Hi everyone

Some of you may have seen a thread I started looking to hire a cab for a big outdoors gig I have, I have found that the studio where I practice will hire cabs to take outside. It will probably be an heavy 4x1o Ampeg.

Would you stack it on top of the Compact or vice versa. I sometimes seat on teh Compact and I'm about 13 and 1/2 stones.

Opinions

Thanks

[quote name='chris_b' post='794960' date='Apr 3 2010, 12:08 PM']I'd put the Compact on top. You'll be hearing a better sound out of the better cab.

Will the bass be DI'ed? If it is then I'd just stick with the Compact and on stage monitoring.[/quote]

Unfortunately it won't.

We have a PA but our guitar player is afraid I'll blow up the speakers.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='794910' date='Apr 3 2010, 11:02 AM']Would you stack it on top of the Compact or vice versa. I sometimes seat on teh Compact and I'm about 13 and 1/2 stones.[/quote]

I sat on a Compact, and I'm about four stones heavier than you!! I know that people have questioned their strength and build solidity but I can't see a problem with that at all. I'm significantly heavier than any bass cab - even an Ampeg - and there were no creaks or grumbles from the bareFaced!

[quote name='davidmpires' post='795546' date='Apr 4 2010, 10:42 AM']Now soundwise if I'm using a 4x10 maybe i need to put the barefaced on it's side to stabilize the stack no?[/quote]

Not necessarily. Your little Markbass amp on top will give the stack a kinda "pyramid" stylee if you place the Compact vertically... If you had an old-style "proper" sized amp then it might look silly that way and you would be right to lay the Compact sideways....

Your rig mate - your choice!!

[quote name='davidmpires' post='795199' date='Apr 3 2010, 06:52 PM']....We have a PA but our guitar player is afraid I'll blow up the speakers....[/quote]
Ah, OK. Why don't you buy Jack London's Compact. 2 would sound just great.

[quote name='chris_b' post='796505' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:18 PM']Ah, OK. Why don't you buy Jack London's Compact. 2 would sound just great.[/quote]

I did think about that, but I'm a bit straped for cash at the moment, with a wedding coming up, I've had to take a sabatical year of buying gear. :)

[quote name='davidmpires' post='796836' date='Apr 5 2010, 06:54 PM']I did think about that, but I'm a bit straped for cash at the moment, with a wedding coming up, I've had to take a sabatical year of buying gear. :)[/quote]
Tell your family you need one present much earlier :rolleyes: I don't think that the missus would notice Compact on the list ? :lol: