Why become a member? ×

Newbie Spector advice please

JamieR

Can anyone help me out with a Spector dilemma please? There are NO Spector stockists in Ireland that I can find, so buying one that suits me is proving to be a challenge.

I took the plunge last week and bought a mint Rebop 4 blind for a good price. Although I wasn't bowled over on first contact, I'm really starting to appreciate the sound, the action, and the overall feel and quality of the workmanship. But... it just doesn't sing to me. I think it actually comes down to the width of the neck. I like the low action, but the fretboard is just a little to wide for me, or at least, what I'm used to. It's just not as fast as my trusty and crusty old Hohner Jack. I really want to like it, but I think it's going to have to go. :)

I'd love to stay with Spector so I'm wondering if the Legends or Euros are more suitable. This is what is on the Spector site for the nut widths. It doesn't help that the Rebop dimensions aren't on there, but I measure mine to be 1 and 5/8" at the nut, which is 1.625"

Legend Classic 1.56
Legend Custom 1.79
Spectorcore 1.56
Rebop ?
Euro4LX 1.64
Euro4LX Doug 1.5

Anyway, if I'm interpreting this correctly, the Rebop is actually narrower than a Euro. The Legend Custom is even wider again. The Legend Classic and Spectorcore are a little narrower than the Rebop, so maybe I outta try one of them. Obviously what I really want is a Doug Wimbish Euro (which is exactly the same nut width as my Jack) but unfortunately it's just a tad outside my price range.

Is it worth me trying a Classic, or should I be looking for something other than a Spector?

Sorry for the length of the dilemma. Believe it or not, this is the short version :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Edited by JamieR

Just hang on there mate....

Out of 8 years buying basses, 70% of mine have been bought online, usually having never played one before! And the ones I've bought online have been the ones I've spent longest with! That said, I did buy a Spector Rebop DLX Zebrano at Sound Control in Preston.

Anyway, where I was going was - you've found something decent, hang onto it! If you sold it because one thing didn't quite click, then what are the chances the next bass you look at will be perfect? If anything, I wish I had still had my Spector, it was mint.

Its like when you buy a car. The first day you drive when you own it, you'll be cursing the clutch, the electrics, the light controls, the seat position, because in spite of all the things you love about it, there are certain aspects that feel alien. However, drive it for two weeks and it'll make your old motor feel like a stranger! You'll settle into the bass in a few days. There is no neck that is unplayable, which is why I find it strange when people are so anal about a bass, contemplating giving it up based on the fraction of a centimetre in a width here or there.

Many times I've got a new bass and it's felt a bit odd and I've been disheartened, but give it a few days and you'll soon be in love.

The rebop is slightly wider than most Spectors from what I can remember. I think the Gary Talent sig had the smallest radius. The rebop is a great bass. Give it time. You'll love it. The only places I've seen SSD's in Ireland was Rocksteady and that little place just down the street from Music Maker. Both only stocked Legend Classics. Played a Performer series yesterday and was well impressed.

Thanks for all your comments. You wouldn't believe the number of times I've changed by mind on this one over the last few days. If anything I was probably erring on the side of selling, but I've decided to hang in there for now. I'm not convinced the neck profile is right for me, but I like the rest of it so much that I couldn't let it go. :)

For the record, the Rebop neck width is the same as the Euro at 1.64".

I'm still interested in picking up a good condition Legend 4 Classic if anyone is selling...

Edited by JamieR