Why become a member? ×

Bodyswap? Jazz for Precision?

This is probably a very long shot, but maybe, just maybe, there is someone out there who has a MIJ/CIJ Fender Precison (sunburst) and loves the Precision neck, but wants to expand their tonal possibilities by having a Jazz body to go with it.

I have a CIJ '62 re-issue 3-tone sunburst Jazz (spiral saddles, copper earthing strip, the works), and love it to bits. I also have a fretless P and although I hate the neck, I like how the body sits and feels.

I want to keep my Jazz neck but put a P body on it, so does anyone have a MIJ/CIJ P bass (sunburst or natural - not a solid colour) which they fancy putting a Jazz body on?

I play mine with the bridge pickup and tone control virtually off, so never really exploit the buzz-saw, grindy possibilities and so it is pointless really having a Jazz body.

Here's the deal. For the sake of a few quid in postage, I would happilly do a straight swap. After an agreed period, if EITHER one of us decided that it wasn't for them, then the deal would be off and we would swap back (again for a few quid postage). At the very least, I will have managed to try it out and be able to decide whether to continue looking for a P body or just stick with the Jazz. Obviously in the trial period, the onus would be on both of us to maintain the bodies in the condition they were received in.

If on the other hand, we BOTH agreed that we liked the new arrangement, then that would be it, thank you and goodnight.

Does this make any sense? Is this workable? Is there anybody out there with a P, dreaming of a Jazz with a P neck?

Edited by Starless

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Starless' post='794294' date='Apr 2 2010, 02:16 PM']I have a CIJ '62 re-issue 3-tone sunburst Jazz (spiral saddles, copper earthing strip, the works), and love it to bits. I also have a fretless P and although I hate the neck, I like how the body sits and feels.

I want to keep my Jazz neck but put a P body on it, so does anyone have a MIJ/CIJ P bass (sunburst or natural - not a solid colour) which they fancy putting a Jazz body on?[/quote]

Why don't you just swap the necks on the 2 basses you already have?

Breaking up the P fretless is not an option, she's a bit of a looker (check the avatar).

I would end up with a maple P body with a rosewood jazz neck and vintage tinted headstock (not a nice combo).

Edited by Starless