Why become a member? ×

Amp for metal/hardcore

whimsy23

Personally I'd stay clear of the SVT 3. Nice character to the amp but the volume is pretty low on that amp...my friend uses one and has the volume up almost full.

It's 450 watt apparently at 4 ohms but myself and my friend used my (now sold) Trace GP12SMX400 for another part of the gig, which is 400 watt, and that amp really did seem a LOT louder. Apparently Ampeg set the limiter to kick in at quite a low input gain.

If you really are set on Ampeg, I think the SVT7 is quite a good idea. Light, Ampeg tone, loud!

Edited by Musicman20

I got my SVT-3 pro for around 425GBP and that was with a case bag thing that racks it and keeps it relatively safe.

Not really had an issue with it's volume though, it does 450 w at 4 ohm and 275w at 8 ohm which isn't weedy, but no good having all that wattage if the cabs can't cut the mustard.

I recon 1k is a nice budget you can get a good new or brilliant used for around half then you have the rest to spend on a nice cab

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='797135' date='Apr 6 2010, 01:29 AM']I got my SVT-3 pro for around 425GBP and that was with a case bag thing that racks it and keeps it relatively safe.

Not really had an issue with it's volume though, it does 450 w at 4 ohm and 275w at 8 ohm which isn't weedy, but no good having all that wattage if the cabs can't cut the mustard.

I recon 1k is a nice budget you can get a good new or brilliant used for around half then you have the rest to spend on a nice cab[/quote]

+1

I got my SVT-3pro from Andy67 on here for around the 400 mark. It has a brilliant sound for what you are doing, spend 5-600 on the best Cab you can get and you will be sorted. I have never had any loudness issues with mine + today i took delivery of a Mesa Powerhouse 410, also from here for 500 ish. It is now officially a VERY LOUD setup!! :) It keeps up with two cranked 100W Marshall-All valve Gui*%$r amps and those noisy, crashy drums without even breaking a sweat!!!

Have fun!
Tom

If you are ever worried about what to get you cant go wrong with an Orange bass Terror, plus if you buy new you'll get a warranty(i think) and its 500w at 8 ohm which would suit a barefaced bass compact.

Which IMO is amazing cuts through like a knife through butter, even with the 275W I get with my SVT-3 pro it surprised me at how much it punches. plus with that I get the option to add another to get 450w.

Orange BT = 450 ish new, barefaced compact = 475 delivered, thats 925, then you have 75 to buy a speakon cable some nice instrument cables, new strings, a pickup upgrade whatever. Or theres two used compacts in the for sale section at aropund 350 ish, that 800 quids on a more than brilliant gigging rig. with 200 left for other crap.