Why become a member? ×

Aaaaarrrggh godamnit!!!

gafbass02

I've followed every diagram online, my father in law has tried too! It does somethnh different everytime!! But NOT the right thng! At the mo it's wired as per the fender diagram and the pots do nothing!??!??
There is a slight boost in volume halfway down the vol pots taper but that's it it sounds like I've wired to the jack but I havnt?!??!! Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh
it's a '96 squier nothing fancy pleeeeeeeeeease help me before it goes out the window, this thing has a mind of it's own! Two sets of pots tried, the pickup works, so WTF is going on???

Breath

[quote name='gafbass02' post='793219' date='Apr 1 2010, 12:50 PM']I've followed every diagram online, my father in law has tried too! It does somethnh different everytime!! But NOT the right thng! At the mo it's wired as per the fender diagram and the pots do nothing!??!??
There is a slight boost in volume halfway down the vol pots taper but that's it it sounds like I've wired to the jack but I havnt?!??!! Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh
it's a '96 squier nothing fancy pleeeeeeeeeease help me before it goes out the window, this thing has a mind of it's own! Two sets of pots tried, the pickup works, so WTF is going on???

Breath[/quote]

If it is not getting quieter as you roll back the volume, make perfectly sure that you have grounded the "bottom" end of the pot (ie. connected it to the metal body of the pot, as that's usually where the ground connection is made). Check continuity with the jack plug screen with a meter if you have one - a battery and bulb if you don't (not while plugged in to the amp, obviously).

Do you have any hum issues? If you do, that's a certain indication that the gounding is awry...

Alan

Cheers, ill try to get pics up later, i have no meter, or indeed a clue when it comes to these things, i just took wires off one pot and soldrerd it to the same place on the new pots, then when that didnt work tried virtually every combination possible! im amazed ive stumbled on the right one just by chance!!!??

Bear in mind when it comes to these things i need speaking to like a child! (I dont mind) i know pots and they have tags, that it!

pics up when i get in

I can offer sympathy but not much else. I've just spent all day trying to wire up a P/MM bass, plugged it in....nothing. I am useless at this sort of thing so I wasn't wholly surprised.

Best of luck

Edited by deaver