Why become a member? ×

Opinions on some recordings

Wolverinebass

I need some opinions on this. Myself and my guitarist have been reasonably busy of late and I was wondering what folk thought. I've attached a couple of songs below. Both are unmixed, but you get the general idea. One I've put 2 versions of. With keys and without.

I wrote Nothing To Lose and my guitarist wrote Sweet Angeline after a jam and I wheeled out the 8 string bass for that just to make it sound more chunky. For some reason he hasn't recorded the chorus vocals yet.

Opinions gratefully taken on sounds, technique and even if you like this sort of stuff. Obviously I'm mostly referring to the bass, but all opinions are welcome.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='796256' date='Apr 5 2010, 09:14 AM']Anyone got any thoughts? Anyone? If it's total pants, please feel free to say.[/quote]

Okay, here goes.

The vocals are, to my ears, lost in the mix. For example the opening vocal on "Nothing to lose" seem to be lost under the guitar. They sound better when you get to the "they have nothing to lose" bits where they're slightly more shouty. Music sounds good and well recorded. Is the 8 string being used on all tracks ? You have a nice full sound on Nothing to lose. Also, again on the vocals, I like the doubling of vocals midway through but again they (for me) are a little lost in the mix.

With regards "Sweet Angeline", I actually think it would sound better jumping straight into the song as opposed to the guitar intro (again a personal opinion). Sound pretty good generally, again for me the vocals get a little lost - i.e. they just don't stand out from the rest of the mix.

Other than my moan about the vocals in the mix I think they're a very good couple of recordings.

EDIT: I wish I could be more constructive about how to get the vocals to stand out, but I haven't recorded in years and forgotten most of the tricks :)

Edited by purpleblob

nice stuff!! reminds me a bit of dave matthew's band, and that's a great compliment IMO! but with more of a retro brit-feel (smiths-esque).

definitely agree with the above though - vocals should stand out a lot more in the first track, and a bit more in the second track.

bass in the first track should maybe be panned a little more centrally? maybe just have some 100% wet reverb being panned over to the left... it's a wicked effect but would benefit from being a bit more subtle. works well as-is in the second track though!

really enjoyed that. :)

The 8 string is just on Sweet Angeline. The other is a 4 string (buzzard). In the 8 strings case there is a marginal amount of overdrive and then some chorus on the signal above 800Hz.

The 4 string is just simple chorus added above 400Hz just for a bit of extra "zing." It probably is my favourite bass sound recorded that I've done for a while, but sometimes things sound awful....

Fair comments about the vocals though the tracks are unmixed in the main and they need a bit more stuff done to them. Generally, I've never been one to bother about panning, but my guitarist seems to like the separation really. As long as folk hear me!! :)

Thanks for taking the time chaps, it's appreciated.