Why become a member? ×

MARSHALL MB4210 VOLUME

GRAHAM SG1

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' post='813876' date='Apr 21 2010, 03:44 PM']I am considering getting a credit and buying another amp from the place I bought this from, I have seen an Ashdown MAG 600 H EVO2 head, what 2x10 cab do you guys recommend bearing in mind my budget is about £250, it requires a minmum of 4 ohm impedance for the cab .[/quote]

Personally, I think you might be best off with a 4 ohm 2x12..might be slightly more but it will cover a LOT of ground for you.

The GK 212 combos are great apparently....very light and loud.

There is this as well, the 2x10 version..but again its only a 2x10 so will only do so much.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gallien-krueger-mb-210-bass-guitar-amp-combo--70248"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gallien-krueg...mp-combo--70248[/url]

A really good 'value for money' amp would be one of these (loud and damn good...I used a friends on tour):

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/hartke-lh500-bass-guitar-amp-head--49122"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/hartke-lh500-...amp-head--49122[/url]

And then lookout for a good cabinet (if you want to use just ONE cab, then a 2x12 4 ohm is best IMO, unless you want the added weight/volume of a 4x10.

:)

Edited by Musicman20

The problem I keep finding is that they advertise the power as say 500 Watts etc but that is only when an extension cab is used, if no cab then back to 300 Watts and the scenario I now have !!
I am trying to avoid having an extension cab because I have to carry around all the PA (being the singer) and my bass gear so no room for an extension .
If I was not the singer then I would have a lot more choice !
I want preferrably a head of no less than 500 Watts when used with one 2x10 cab .
I can get a Marshall 1x15 extension cab for £179 which would boost up to 450 Watts, this would be the cheapest option and enable me to keep the tones I like from my amp, just a pain having an extension - doh

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' post='813937' date='Apr 21 2010, 04:47 PM']The problem I keep finding is that they advertise the power as say 500 Watts etc but that is only when an extension cab is used, if no cab then back to 300 Watts and the scenario I now have !!
I am trying to avoid having an extension cab because I have to carry around all the PA (being the singer) and my bass gear so no room for an extension .
I want preferrably a head of no less than 500 Watts when used with one 2x10 cab .
I can get a Marshall 1x15 extension cab for £179 which would boost up to 450 Watts, this would be the cheapest option and enable me to keep the tones I like from my amp, just a pain having an extension - doh[/quote]
It's the extra speaker area that makes you louder when you add an extension speaker, rather than the fact that your amp is putting out 450W instead of 300W. Alex explains it perfectly, and this is further proven by the fact that some amps are alot louder than similarly rated amps...For example, I only run 300W and I've never run out of volume against a stupidly loud and undisciplined drummer, even in big venues with no PA support and no way of taking advantage of boundary reinforcement. But having said that, that's with a 4x10 which has a good SPL rating, so I'd have twice the speaker area that you have and possibly speakers that are more efficient in frequencies that cut through, or give the impression of greater volume (i.e. the frequency content of my tone is different to yours).

[quote name='alexclaber' post='813703' date='Apr 21 2010, 01:01 PM']It's not about 300W vs 450W vs 30W etc. It's about dB SPL which is a function of real world sensitivity (dB SPL @ 1m per W) and real world power handling, AND also about apparent loudness which is a function of frequency content, distortion content and other tonal issues...[/quote]

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' post='813937' date='Apr 21 2010, 04:47 PM']The problem I keep finding is that they advertise the power as say 500 Watts etc but that is only when an extension cab is used, if no cab then back to 300 Watts and the scenario I now have !!
I can get a Marshall 1x15 extension cab for £179 which would boost up to 450 Watts, this would be the cheapest option and enable me to keep the tones I like from my amp, just a pain having an extension - doh[/quote]

Ah I see....right well the problem is, as much as 2x10s can move a fair bit of air, they will struggle at a certain point, even the high end models.

There are not many manufacturers who make 4 ohm 2x10 combos....but the GK one I put a link to is pretty cheap and very very well known. Not only that, their extension cabs are much lighter than the Marshall. The GK 2x12 combo, which is not listed there but is coming out, IS 4 ohms, and will kick up a lot of air....and the full power of the amp will be going into it. Plus, its very very light.

I cant find a UK site, but here are the specs on a USA site:

[url="http://www.gbase.com/gear/gallien-krueger-mb-212-bass-combo"]http://www.gbase.com/gear/gallien-krueger-mb-212-bass-combo[/url] (note that you cannot use an extension cabinet now....GK made them so they run 500W into the internal speakers).

37lbs (hardly anything), 2x12, 500W, 4 ohm. Job done and actually a pretty damn good amp. If I needed a new combo....unless I had cash for Markbass, this would be it.

Info here: [url="http://guitargearnews.blogspot.com/2010/01/gallienkrueger-mb-series-combos.html"]http://guitargearnews.blogspot.com/2010/01...ies-combos.html[/url]

Edited by Musicman20

I play using the amp head from the range and the 4x10 from the range, I have to say it is blisteringly loud!

It more than keeps up with the band at rehearsals and gigs without going anywhere near max volume :/ this is also without an extension cab so it is only putting out 300 watts.

I would definitely get a second opinion of someone who has used one of these amps before and then go for a refund.

If you'are anywhere near me (Bournemouth) I'd be glad to come and have a listen :)

Craig

Re the KG combo amps you guys mention;

•350W @ 8 ohms/500W @ 4 ohms (with extension)

They all say the above so the question is, is it worth paying the extra for what is essentially a 350 Watt amp without extension cab, would the extra £200 cost over my Marshall would be justified by better quality and better loudness ??
The KG MB210 looks like a goer as its available now, I would like the 2x12 but if its not out yet .

I must say I appreciate you knowledge and experience guys, I am a bass newbie !

Edited by GRAHAM SG1

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' post='814084' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:54 PM']Re the KG combo amps you guys mention;

•350W @ 8 ohms/500W @ 4 ohms (with extension)

They all say the above so the question is, is it worth paying the extra for what is essentially a 350 Watt amp without extension cab, would the extra £200 cost over my Marshall would be justified by better quality and better loudness ??
The KG MB210 looks like a goer as its available now, I would like the 2x12 but if its not out yet .

I must say I appreciate you knowledge and experience guys, I am a bass newbie ![/quote]

No probs! Thats what we are here for...plus soon you will probably build up a vast wealth of knowledge you can bore your guitarist with hahaha. Dont even try with the drummer.

The GK MB212 is 4 ohms....even though it says 8 ohms on that USA site. Its the FULL 500W into that 2x12 enclosure. The GK MB210 allows an extension but it wont put out full power without it.

If you go for the 210, its smaller/lighter, and you have the option of adding an MBE210 cabinet when they come out, (if they arent out already). That will give you a 4x10 tower with 500W and will be super super loud. It will be more expensive that the MB 212 combo thats due to come out, but you will have the options of just the 2x10 combo, or adding the extension cabinet.

The amp inside that combo is apparently very very loud, and has a hell of a lot of low end. It also can be quite 'bright' as well, if you want it to be.....to cut through a little. Obviously EQ can be used. The GK site is not updated yet but their catalogue is here:

[url="http://www.gallien.com/news_brochures.html"]http://www.gallien.com/news_brochures.html[/url]

It wont sound exactly like the Marshall, but it might actually be better as GK just makes bass amps/cabs. I reckon the price difference is worth it. If you go any higher, we are talking Markbass....very very good gear but not cheap.

Personally, id ask if they can order you a GK MB212, unless you want a 2x10 x 2 setup and then you can go for what they have and add to it. But...its upto you :)

I think the MB Combos are very well priced and probably the lightest ones out there at the moment.

Edited by Musicman20

I think I am sold on the GK MB210 with the possibility of adding an extension at a later date, a 4x10 mini `tower`sounds just right, I also like the weight of these amps, find it hard to believe its in pounds and not kgs, thats half the weight of my Marshall so my back will like it .
I have just one reservation though, I read that GK amps are made in China, in my experience stuff made in China is poor quality so are these amps good quality ??

Thanks

Edited by GRAHAM SG1

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' post='814585' date='Apr 22 2010, 07:57 AM']I think I am sold on the GK MB210 with the possibility of adding an extension at a later date, a 4x10 mini `tower`sounds just right, I also like the weight of these amps, find it hard to believe its in pounds and not kgs, thats half the weight of my Marshall so my back will like it .
I have just one reservation though, I read that GK amps are made in China, in my experience stuff made in China is poor quality so are these amps good quality ??

Thanks[/quote]

I think a fair few big manufacturers have their production elsewhere now, including Ampeg!

The best bet would be to make sure it's got a warranty no matter what you get. It's a shame you can't test them out.

There are a lot of reviews of the GK MB combos on talkbass.com.

I'm not actually even sure where that Marshall is made if I'm honest.

Good luck :)

I have decided to go for the GK MB210, I like the idea of a lightweight amp, will give my back an easy time, also the mini tower 4x10 appeals for a later date .
Am happy with the service from DV27 as they have credited my account and are taking the Marshall back tomorrow, just a short wait now .

Cheers Guys

you can get a peavey tx 2x10 which is 4 ohm cheap second hand and they thunder,loadsa bottom end and turn the horn off..
I use two with head version,one for practice or small gig and two to shake the walls down-one cab,300 watt-both 450 watt and never need to go above 4-5 at any time.
You could try hooking it up to an extension cab and see if it makes a difference but it sounds like a duff.Try the head version out in the shop with 2 cabs and you will know the answer

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have had my Gallien and Krueger MB210 a week now and wow, what an amp, as for power, it absolutely blows away the Marshall MB4210 I had previously, easily keeps up with my band without being anywhere near flat out, lovely tone too, and as for weight, its unbelievable how light it is, I can pick it up with two fingers !!
Well worth £500 :rolleyes: :)
I love the contour control, really makes the band sound full, the drummer and guitarist love its tone and power !

10/10 for me

Edited by GRAHAM SG1

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' post='837481' date='May 14 2010, 06:41 PM']Well, I have had my Gallien and Krueger MB210 a week now and wow, what an amp, as for power, it absolutely blows away the Marshall MB4210 I had previously, easily keeps up with my band without being anywhere near flat out, lovely tone too, and as for weight, its unbelievable how light it is, I can pick it up with two fingers !!
Well worth £500 :rolleyes: :)
I love the contour control, really makes the band sound full, the drummer and guitarist love its tone and power !

10/10 for me[/quote]

Hi!

Glad you like it, and a picture would be fantastic. I have heard great things about this combo.

I will put a pic on when I get a chance .
I was a bit sceptical reading all the great reviews and posts on forums about these amps, you know the old `too good to be true` syndrome, but GK have got a winner here, as soon as I turned it on with the band and cranked it up to half I could tell it was good when the drummer had a huge grin on his face LOL .
It really does kick ass !!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='788305' date='Mar 28 2010, 02:59 AM']It may have been a dud, don't worry though some one has to get them.

I've got the same model, I agree it has a good tone, and it does go loud, trust me, I had a full sized gig I. A theatre with 2 half stacks one being an orange AD140, and the master was barely pushed up to 4.

Ive never heard this volume problem, I would suggest checking your cables just in case, many minutes have been wasted by me by not checking the cables. Could also try the lead that connects the speakers to the head on the back, and then hook up so e headphones and see if there is still an issue.

These are loud though, trust me, I've cranked it.[/quote]
I KNOW! thats how you blow crossovers and drivers

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' post='814585' date='Apr 22 2010, 07:57 AM']I think I am sold on the GK MB210 with the possibility of adding an extension at a later date, a 4x10 mini `tower`sounds just right, I also like the weight of these amps, find it hard to believe its in pounds and not kgs, thats half the weight of my Marshall so my back will like it .

Thanks[/quote]
the chinese are better at soldering than the indians m8, Marshall gear is now manufactured in India