Why become a member? ×

Aria tsb

cocco

So there's an aria tsb (Thor Sound Bass) on eBay that's tempting me. I'm just after some info on them. What's the tone like? What's the quality like? How does it compare to an SB? Has anyone got any experience with them?

[quote name='cocco' post='786317' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:53 PM']So there's an aria tsb (Thor Sound Bass) on eBay that's tempting me. I'm just after some info on them. What's the tone like? What's the quality like? How does it compare to an SB? Has anyone got any experience with them?[/quote]

I've had a TSB-400 since 1982.

Tone - Lots of it
Build Quality - Stunning. Built like a tank. Tri-laminate maple neck, Nato (a sort of mahogany) body. Poly finish. 32" Scale. Very good ergonomics, but tend to be rather heavy.

They're not an SB, but they're fine things.

I'm of the opinion that £360 inc P&P is a tad on the high side - even with the branded hard case (assuming I'm looking at the same one) notwithstanding that it's an early example (in-line tuners instead of 2+2) in very nice order. I'm sure I've seen this one listed before.

Some data...

TSB-400

Width at Nut: 45.5mm
Width at 1st Fret: 45.8mm
Width at 12th Fret: 52.4mm

Depth at 1st Fret: 22.2mm
Depth at 12th Fret: 23.9mm

String Spacing 1st Fret: 36.7mm (avg = 9.2mm)
String Spacing 12th Fret: 44mm (avg = 11.0mm)
String Spacing Bridge: 52.6mm (avg = 13.2mm)

...and a photo:

OK 2 photos.

Pete.

[quote name='cocco' post='786356' date='Mar 25 2010, 09:27 PM']Cheers dude. I'll hold off on this one and see if I can get a twin pup I reckon. I'd just never seen one before and it caught my eye. What would you say was a fair price?[/quote]
I reckon he's a ton out.

Keep 'em peeled for a TSB-650. Single p/up but through neck.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='cocco' post='786376' date='Mar 25 2010, 09:41 PM']Is the trem on yours an addition?[/quote]

Very much so. As are the extra holes, the dings & welts, and the extra pole-pieces on the bridge pickup.

I ought to record the staggering buckle rash as well!

The Westone Thunders punch well above their weight, as do the Aria Cardinal (CSB) series - never liked the CSB styling though.

You've seen [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=75875&view=findpost&p=732880"]this[/url] I take it?

Pete.

[quote name='cocco' post='786462' date='Mar 25 2010, 11:05 PM']Yeah it's lovely. I'm tempted but I'm holding out for a thunder 2. The temptation is 100% there though.[/quote]

2 & 3s are hen's teeth. I reckon the 1A's are a choice buy at the moment - seem to be holding around that mark for nice ones, so virtually risk-free IMO.

And DiMarzios!

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='786365' date='Mar 25 2010, 09:34 PM']I reckon he's a ton out.

Keep 'em peeled for a TSB-650. Single p/up but through neck.[/quote]
+1 on the price.

+1 on TSBs being very nice basses. I had a TSB-550 which is the through-neck single pickup version. I think the TSB-650 was the two pickup version.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='786513' date='Mar 26 2010, 12:07 AM']+1 on the price.

+1 on TSBs being very nice basses. I had a TSB-550 which is the through-neck single pickup version. I think the TSB-650 was the two pickup version.[/quote]

Quite right - I always get this lot mixed up!

Info: [url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/tsb/tsb.html"]http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/tsb/tsb.html[/url] down the bottom.

So it'd either be the 400 for a bolt-on or the 650 for a through then - might as well have two pickups eh?

P.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='786517' date='Mar 26 2010, 12:17 AM']Quite right - I always get this lot mixed up!

Info: [url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/tsb/tsb.html"]http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/tsb/tsb.html[/url] down the bottom.

So it'd either be the 400 for a bolt-on or the 650 for a through then - might as well have two pickups eh?

P.[/quote]
My TSB-550 from 1980 had the four-a-side headstock not the 2+2 which dates from 1981 I think.

...and I always found one pickup satisfactory. :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='786533' date='Mar 26 2010, 12:43 AM']My TSB-550 from 1980 had the four-a-side headstock not the 2+2 which dates from 1981 I think.

...and I always found one pickup satisfactory. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Each to their own, I guess. Personally, I prefer a pair of overwound 4-wire hummers in series & wide open. :)

[quote name='cocco' post='786317' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:53 PM']So there's an aria tsb (Thor Sound Bass) on eBay that's tempting me. I'm just after some info on them. What's the tone like? What's the quality like? How does it compare to an SB? Has anyone got any experience with them?[/quote]

Cocco, it's me again!!
We must meet up sometime. :lol:

I have a TSB650, four aside tuners, two pup, stack controls - great bass to play and
to look at. Will get you a pic, if you are interested.
I also have a TSB400, as well as some other Aria stuff.
Neither of these would stack up against the power of your T-40, although
they do have some great tones.
Are you entering into a Far Eastern phase? If so, drop me a PM and I'll bore you rigid. :rolleyes:

Cheers.
Flat Eric. :)