Why become a member? ×

New strings!

karlthebassist

Just changed strings on my Stingray. After playing on one of the rather lovely E-Basses last week which was sitting on light strings I thought I'd give it a go. I just switched from Elites Stadium Standard (45-105) to Light (35-95) and all I can say is wow.

Why didn't I do this years ago?!?!?

You know how we perceive heavier strings to be "beefier", well is that a fact or is it just perception? I like heavy strings, but I wouldn't necessarily say I could tell the difference just by listening. My guitarist for example, really likes Nuno's tone, and can't believe he gets that sort of defined attacky tone with quite light/loose strings. I reckon it's not that big a factor. Does anyone actually know?

Fair point, a blind test would be good. Light strings can't be plucked so hard, especially the E, as it will go sharp, so maybe there's a difference there. I've never used heavy strings so, I admit, the beefy comment is from my perception. (I also argue against maple necks sounding brighter!)

I have noticed I seem to send the notes sharp a fair bit as I'm not use to the lighter action the bass now seems to have. But by god the speed I can get around the board without ruining my fingers is awesome (awesome for me I mean). I had been doing a bit of slap recently and using my index and middle finger on my plucking hand in an entwistle stylie typewriter thingy against the frets to make up for my lack of thumb speed and its SOOO much easier with the lighter strings. I can also play fast down/up/down triplets with a pick much easier and cleaner sounding than before. i was thinking about moving to lighter picks, but now feel there is no need.

I've set the action back to the hight I had it with the heavier strings which was no relief in the neck and 1/16" from the 12th fret on each string. It feels a lot slicker than it did before, and i reckon I could take it lower - but would probably be useless when playing with a pick.

Interestingly, I find the use of the bass knob on my stingray eq much more musical to use now. before, i hardly touched it as it seemed to just make it all boomy, but now i have more control over the amout of bass produced. suppose its becusae less is being generated with the smaller strings.

All in all, a good move. Now to try some flats on my p-bass...