Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Geddy Lee

NancyJohnson

Over on Talkbass there's a Geddy Lee for sale (LINK: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376764"]Talkbass[/url]

It looks like a poster called Russ Ryan (purportedly Geddy Lee's tech) chipped in on the thread about his involvement with the signature Jazz and how 'Geddy asked me to source him another '72'.

I would point out I haven't a clue whether this guy Russ is the genuine article or not (take it on face value...he's only been a Talkbass member for four days), but it would be interesting if he was as he's largely ignorant about the 'limited edition' neck plate etc. and he comes across as dumb as a box of hair. :)

P

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='85782' date='Nov 9 2007, 08:46 AM']Ta for the link!

Hmm... I find it a bit hard to believe that any member of Rush's crew would be allowed to post willy-nilly on a forum.

I'd like to be proved wrong, though..[/quote]

That was my thought exactly. I was a little surprised that this guy didn't know some of the most basic details of the signature model (ie the neckplate) and even with a nod from his employer would actually have the audacity to post saying 'Hi. I'm Geddy Lee's tech and I'm searching for a '72.'. <sound of cash registers chinging!>

I mean, let's face it, Mr Lee probably isn't short of a few bob, so why would he instruct anyone on his staff to go searching so publicly on a forum like that? Surely if there was any urgency, he'd have his channels for obtaining an instrument - I'm also sure that Fender would have a few stock models from that period kicking around for a high-profile endorsee. Plus, there's always Gmall or Elderly, eBay etc.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='85831' date='Nov 9 2007, 10:59 AM']That was my thought exactly. I was a little surprised that this guy didn't know some of the most basic details of the signature model (ie the neckplate) and even with a nod from his employer would actually have the audacity to post saying 'Hi. I'm Geddy Lee's tech and I'm searching for a '72.'. <sound of cash registers chinging!>

I mean, let's face it, Mr Lee probably isn't short of a few bob, so why would he instruct anyone on his staff to go searching so publicly on a forum like that? Surely if there was any urgency, he'd have his channels for obtaining an instrument - I'm also sure that Fender would have a few stock models from that period kicking around for a high-profile endorsee. Plus, there's always Gmall or Elderly, eBay etc.

P[/quote]
According to all the pre-tour guff about Geddy's gear, even his original '72 is now fitted with a Geddy Sig neck - presumably because the original is a bit too rare & delicate for the rigours of the road. I understand that the sig model's neck is an exact replica of the original, which has unique dimensions because it hails from a time before CNC manufacturing processes, and would have been hand-finished.

I think it's highly unlikely that Geddy would send his tech (who has been on the road for months & would probably quite appreciate a break) on some wild goose chase to find a bass - which wouldn't be the same as the first one anyway. I think the guy seems completely implausible.

Jon.