Why become a member? ×

Customising My Rig

Pookus

Though I'm quite happy with my Ashdown ABM EvoII 900 sound and features. I have grown tired of it's appearance. So I have decided to redesign the case and interface. (Note to readers I have a degree in art so it should look ok!). I will also rename the various functions. In my research on Eqing - I found words that describe what each frequecy does to the sound of a bass. So as there are 7 frequency controls on the amp I decided to give them a name relating to what they do to the sound. I got this far - any comments / suggestions?

• Bass: ±15dB @ 45Hz Depth
• Middle: ±15dB @ 660Hz Mid Range
• Treble: ±15dB @ 7kHz Brilliance
• Slider 1: ±15dB @ 180Hz Boom
• Slider 2: ±15dB @ 340Hz Clarity
• Slider 3: ±15dB @ 1.3kHz Attack
• Slider 4: ±15dB @ 2.6kHz Upper Mid

I like the appearance of old testing gear / Orange Amps etc. I will create a new case for the chassis to fit in so I can extend the control panel upwards and reconfigure the layout.

I think that if you're planning to personalise your amp, then surely asking other people for their opinions kinda defeats the object? Just do what looks good to you. Name the knobs and sliders after varieties of seabird if that's what grabs you.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='778914' date='Mar 18 2010, 05:55 PM']I think that if you're planning to personalise your amp, then surely asking other people for their opinions kinda defeats the object? Just do what looks good to you. Name the knobs and sliders after varieties of seabird if that's what grabs you.

S.P.[/quote]
Yeah thanks :)

What I'm fishing for are any suggestions / opinions / solutions / general discussion / shared experiences / things to look out for / resources etc
Then you come along and wee on my firewirks! lol :rolleyes:

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='778914' date='Mar 18 2010, 05:55 PM']Name the knobs and sliders after varieties of seabird if that's what grabs you.
S.P.[/quote]

"Yeah, sounding ok, but you need a bit more gannet, and you want to scoop the petrels right out"
:)

[quote name='Earbrass' post='779922' date='Mar 19 2010, 03:53 PM']"Yeah, sounding ok, but you need a bit more gannet, and you want to scoop the petrels right out"
:)[/quote]

I dialled in some more cormorant - cutting though the mix nicely! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='778914' date='Mar 18 2010, 05:55 PM']I think that if you're planning to personalise your amp, then surely asking other people for their opinions kinda defeats the object? Just do what looks good to you. Name the knobs and sliders after varieties of seabird if that's what grabs you.

S.P.[/quote]

To be fair I think SP has a very good point. The terms you're using are subjective and what you might call one thing, someone else may describe differently. Just look at all the different ways "growl" in presented on this forum :)
If those are what those frequencies mean to you then go for it

[quote name='josh3184' post='779957' date='Mar 19 2010, 04:17 PM']To be fair I think SP has a very good point. The terms you're using are subjective and what you might call one thing, someone else may describe differently. Just look at all the different ways "growl" in presented on this forum :rolleyes:
If those are what those frequencies mean to you then go for it[/quote]

They are terms employed by a mixing engineer - relating generally to the frequency ranges of the Ashdown controls and their effect on the sound of a bass guitar. So if my bass is sounding a bit too boomy - I can cut the 180hz range (boom). If I want more clarity - I can boost the 340hz range (clarity) and so on. So the terms are not in my opinion arbitrary. I think it will be useful for me anyway - like you say. Thanks for your input :)

[quote name='Pookus' post='779995' date='Mar 19 2010, 04:46 PM']They are terms employed by a mixing engineer - relating generally to the frequency ranges of the Ashdown controls and their effect on the sound of a bass guitar. So if my bass is sounding a bit too boomy - I can cut the 180hz range (boom). If I want more clarity - I can boost the 340hz range (clarity) and so on. So the terms are not in my opinion arbitrary. I think it will be useful for me anyway - like you say. Thanks for your input :)[/quote]

No worries, I look forward to seeing the results!

[quote name='Pookus' post='779995' date='Mar 19 2010, 04:46 PM']They are terms employed by a mixing engineer - relating generally to the frequency ranges of the Ashdown controls and their effect on the sound of a bass guitar. So if my bass is sounding a bit too boomy - I can cut the 180hz range (boom). If I want more clarity - I can boost the 340hz range (clarity) and so on. So the terms are not in my opinion arbitrary. I think it will be useful for me anyway - like you say. Thanks for your input :)[/quote]

IMO Ashdowns are boomy anyway so you might want to rename the amp!

IMO the upper mid and the mid range don't go along nicely with other names you have like clarity, deep etc.

If yo're planning to make a new enclosure for it than good luck, you will need a lot of it with the sliding controls!

Cheers
Jack

[quote name='JackLondon' post='780820' date='Mar 20 2010, 02:52 PM']IMO Ashdowns are boomy anyway so you might want to rename the amp!

IMO the upper mid and the mid range don't go along nicely with other names you have like clarity, deep etc.

If yo're planning to make a new enclosure for it than good luck, you will need a lot of it with the sliding controls!

Cheers
Jack[/quote]

I'm thinking of replacing the sliding controls with rotary ones. You are right about the upper mid and mid ranges. I can't think of what to call those yet! Cheers :)

[quote name='Pookus' post='780923' date='Mar 20 2010, 04:56 PM']I'm thinking of replacing the sliding controls with rotary ones. You are right about the upper mid and mid ranges. I can't think of what to call those yet! Cheers :)[/quote]

"Clank" and "fizz" for the upper mids/treble :rolleyes:

Edited by Protium

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='783705' date='Mar 23 2010, 05:25 PM']Puffin could be a picture of a puffin...

S.P.[/quote]

Gannet @ 45Hz :)

[url="http://www.birdfoto.fsnet.co.uk/biscay/gannet.jpg"]http://www.birdfoto.fsnet.co.uk/biscay/gannet.jpg[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Pookus' post='779937' date='Mar 19 2010, 05:03 PM']I dialled in some more cormorant - cutting though the mix nicely! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Can hardly bring myself to say this, but surely a Shag would do nicely for a big fat bottom end..... :)