Why become a member? ×

Peterson B2M — Universal Bass-to-MIDI Converter

99ster

Many thanks for the review - for that price that's got to be worth a punt!
Where did you get yours from?

[quote name='basstard' post='778333' date='Mar 18 2010, 09:55 AM']Just got one.

Tracks pretty well - not as good as a Roland GK equiped bass - but fast enough to record or gig with. It's VERY easy to use, doesn't mess up your bass, is smaller than a fag packet and is quite cheap to buy (£70ish). Highly recomended![/quote]

Tracks pretty well - not as good as a Roland GK equiped bass - but fast enough to record or gig with. It's VERY easy to use, doesn't mess up your bass, is smaller than a fag packet and is quite cheap to buy (£70ish). Highly recomended![/quote]

Would using it with a wireless add latency?

[quote name='99ster' post='778389' date='Mar 18 2010, 10:56 AM']Many thanks for the review - for that price that's got to be worth a punt!
Where did you get yours from?[/quote]

Sounds Live in Newcastle, but I think Dolphin and loads of other on-line stores do it for about the same price.

I find the tracking quiet bad. My technique is a bit sloppy. Muting your notes a bit, will help tracking. Remember it's monophonic, so one note at a time.
Tracking is at it's best with my Rickenbacker 4001v63. Much better than with my Geddy Lee Jazz bass.

Hardly any latency though, so that's a good thing.

Anyway for this price it's definitely worth checking out, but don't expect miracles.

I use it with my Macbook(Absynth,FM8,SampleMoog).

Edited by squire

Wow! Now this would be a great cheap alternative to a GK pickup for notating with! - My Notating skills aren't as great as I would like, and being able to throw down a 'technically challenging' bass line to a click and have it notated straight away would be pretty awesome.

I'm assuming it'd be easy to 'out run' the box - and thus would be better recording MIDI at say, half speed (setting the click slower) whilst recording in to a DAW?

I know it's difficult to describe, but at what BPM does the interface start losing track? for example, would I be able to lay down 16th note basslines at 160BPM with no problems? How about 32nd notes?

To be honest, as a cheat to notating, slowing down a drum track to record midi bass in, isn't really a problem - infact, I usually practice fast passages slowed down anyway - and work up to speed. Hmmm, that leads me to another idea.. it'd make a really good practice aid too.

[quote name='dood' post='785675' date='Mar 25 2010, 11:58 AM']Wow! Now this would be a great cheap alternative to a GK pickup for notating with! - My Notating skills aren't as great as I would like, and being able to throw down a 'technically challenging' bass line to a click and have it notated straight away would be pretty awesome.

I'm assuming it'd be easy to 'out run' the box - and thus would be better recording MIDI at say, half speed (setting the click slower) whilst recording in to a DAW?

I know it's difficult to describe, but at what BPM does the interface start losing track? for example, would I be able to lay down 16th note basslines at 160BPM with no problems? How about 32nd notes?

To be honest, as a cheat to notating, slowing down a drum track to record midi bass in, isn't really a problem - infact, I usually practice fast passages slowed down anyway - and work up to speed. Hmmm, that leads me to another idea.. it'd make a really good practice aid too.[/quote]

I think I agree with Squire - the tracking and latency are good but it is prone to glitching. I've used it live, but I've always blended in some dry bass signal, which covers up a lot of "imperfections". I recorded into a Roland Fantom X midi workstation Keyboard - The midi recorded was ok, but needed a little editing/quantizing (but thats probably due to my sloppy technique!). I've not tried a computer as yet.

I think for £70ish it's definitely worth a punt, but, as I said in the original thread, it is NOT as good a Roland GK equipped Bass (I have 3 to compare it with), and don't forget, it's mono.

I'm eager to see if they bring out a polyphonic one anytime soon... TC have brought out a tuner where a guitarist strums a chord and all the individual notes are recognised.