Why become a member? ×

Double Bass (1950's ?) was £1500 now £1000 ono

daflewis

Hi,

The description is perhaps not as precise as it could be as I'm putting this up for sale for a friend who doesn't know much about basses..... any questions and I'll try and help.... :)

We think it's an eastern european bass imported by Boosey & Hawkes and probably made in the 50's (if anyone knows better please let me know!). it has a solid wood front and laminate back and sides.
I've only played it once but it has a nice big boomy sound particularly the A and E strings - the G string definitely needs changing - it's very old and not showing the bass in it's best light (though,of course a new set would do wonders anyway.)
There are a few battle scars as would be expected, but as far as i could see there were no open cracks or anything that needs professional attention.
the bass is in Harpenden (about 25miles north of London) and my friend would like to get £1500 ono.

(edit)
He really wants shot of this so asked me to drop the price to £1000 ono.

Cheers,
Daf

Edited by daflewis

[quote name='daflewis' post='781504' date='Mar 21 2010, 11:16 AM']Oh dear, I've never had a thread with no response at all...

is he asking too much? opinions please..... he says ducking for cover...[/quote]

umm. no expert, but yes i think he might be pitching this a bit steep for a B&H.

These threads often hang around for a while until someone is in the market, Daf. I guess there aren't many of of us with £1,500 sitting around waiting for a bass to come up for sale.

And the word laminate puts a lot of people off :)

Good luck with the sale.

Hi Daf,

Hope you're well. To be honest I think the price is about right, just think it's very very slow for shifting anything at the mo. I've been trying to sell my five string for the past month and have priced it at what I think is quite cheap, but unfortunately still no takers.

I've noticed too as soon as you say laminate it puts people off. Don't know why though, I'd take a good laminate bass over a cheap carved one any day.

Thanks for the replies chaps and sorry i didn't get back earlier, had a problem accessing the site yesterday.

Yes, you're right Rob, things don't seem to be shifting generally - there's a lot of "GASy" gear hanging around at the moment!

and thanks for the thought on pricing Teej, i think you might be right.

That's also a good point about laminates, if i didn't have three dbs and a stick already i might have been tempted myself but the laminate thing does put me off slightly - pure snobbery, as the sound is really big and they are actually often more stable than their solid conterparts.

Chris, i've noticed your 5 string and it looks like a steal!I'm really surprised that's still around.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78003&hl=double+bass"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=double+bass[/url]

Anyway, the upshot appears to be that the price is not too far off the mark, if a little towards the upper end.

I'm sure someone will make an offer.... sometime.....

Edited by daflewis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='daflewis' post='819166' date='Apr 26 2010, 12:14 PM']and again....[/quote]

As another 60s B+H owner (Hi Teej...), and long time buyer and seller, I'd say that looks a very cool and desirable bass.
I sold a very similar, fantastic sounding bass a while back. Not for [i]quite[/i] that much though.

+1 to the 'don't let plywood put you off'. This will make an amaziong student / gigging / roots / blues / jazz bass. Unless it has any issues of course...

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='PaulKing' post='834262' date='May 11 2010, 02:30 PM']As another 60s B+H owner (Hi Teej...), and long time buyer and seller, I'd say that looks a very cool and desirable bass.
I sold a very similar, fantastic sounding bass a while back. Not for [i]quite[/i] that much though.

+1 to the 'don't let plywood put you off'. This will make an amaziong student / gigging / roots / blues / jazz bass. Unless it has any issues of course...[/quote]

Sorry! not been paying attention....

Thanks for the bump Paul, and yes i think perhaps a slight readjustment of price may be in order.... will have to talk with my friend who owns it (though i know he'll seriously consider any reasonable offers anyway).

I've only played the bass for about 20 mins but there certainly didn't appear to be anything wrong with it that a new set of strings and a set up wouldn't sort.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...