Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

String suggestions please for my new Jazz

alhbass

Hello. I recently acquired a lovely 2009 US Jazz (my first - I've had Precisions previously). I currently have two sets of strings for it - both great in their own way, but both at quite extreme - one set is La Bella flats (not sure of the gauge - they came with the bass and the previous owner couldn't tell me), but they're pretty damn hefty! They make a beautiful, rich, thumpy vintage kinda sound, but are inflexible in the extreme, and not much cop for bending/slapping/popping/hammer-ons.

The other set is La Bella Slappers (custom light). I got these as a step away from the Flats. But in fact they're several enormous leaps away from the Flats - they're thin as cheesewire, and thought they're hilariously easy to slap, bend, pop etc, they lack the puch of a heavier string.

So it shouldn't be too difficult really - I just want something in between. And I'm familiar with quite a range of strings from other instruments I've had...but just thought I'd ask for your opinions and advice to see whether anything comes up I hadn't thought of before...

I'd like strings with a bit of Grrr and edge that will bring out the Jazz growl a bit (the La Bella Flats for example have none of this, being so warm and smooth) and will be responsive to quick hammer-ons and popping, but don't like (what I think of as) over-bright, pingy sounds, such as I associate with 80s funky slap (probably steel roundwounds?). And strings that are flexible enough to bend a bit would be good too, though this isn't my number one priority...

Specific suggestions of sets to try, and/or gauges welcome. Thanks.

FYI I've tried Elixirs - too "civilised" - good but a bit tame, Warwick Black Labels - really didn't like these (they came on my Pbass V when I took delivery of it) - horribly tinny and overbright - I thought they sounded like knitting needles being thrown into a harpsichord, Rotosound Trubass - love these, but not what I'm after here, Hartke Something or other-Attack - were ok, but didn't last well, D'Addario Chromes - great, but again not what I'm after here, D'Addario Halfrounds - yup, these were good...

I tend to use d'Addario EXL nickel rounds on Js (usually EXL220 - 40-95 gauge) - I find them bright without 'pinginess' and fairly full with sufficient jazz growl when digging in a bit around the bridge. I play with a very light touch - for anybody with a heavier technique, I'd suspect there's a lot of growl to be had

[quote name='lozbass' post='774142' date='Mar 14 2010, 10:19 AM']I tend to use d'Addario EXL nickel rounds on Js (usually EXL220 - 40-95 gauge) - I find them bright without 'pinginess' and fairly full with sufficient jazz growl when digging in a bit around the bridge. I play with a very light touch - for anybody with a heavier technique, I'd suspect there's a lot of growl to be had[/quote]

Great. Thanks for that. Sounds very promissing. I'll give them a try.