Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nearly there people! Just an MTD to go!

TGEvans

Right then. My Spector Rebop Dlx 4 Trans Black is on order. The only other bass on my list is an MTD 435! I have never tried one but by looks alone it is the only other Bass I am gassing for, and have for about 6 years. There was an Aguilar advert with the guy from Hoobastank crouched in front of a massive Aguilar rig holding an MTD 535 with a Zebrawood finish. I hate to admit that an advert made me want something, but the whold set up worked for me. Anyway, how similar would an MTD sound to a Spector Bolt on? Anybody A/B'd them? I think I will have many options available sound wise between my G & L and the Rebop, but I "Want" the MTD! Someone put me out of my misery and tell me they are crap! Please. T

[quote name='foal30' post='773345' date='Mar 13 2010, 04:03 AM']I picked up a MTD Grendel last week
and if this is mid-range Tobias
I guess the top line stuff is remarkable[/quote]

can i ask where you found your Grendel, i've been trying to get a Grendel 5 for some time now. i've been looking for someone/place to trade my Tobias Standard v for one

I've recently owned an MTD 635 and. A Spector 6. I agree with OTPJ, the MTD is the better bass. It does depend what you like though - an MTD with barts and a mahogany body might be too warm if you want midrange punch, which spectors do very well. Also watch out for the 35" scale on the MTD as it is a little unusual for a 4-string.

I've just last month bought an MTD 535 in Amp Shop LA. I have several other basses (lakland US5, Skyline 5 fretless, 1980 MM and couple of good JBs plus Warwick Thumb 5) and this is a beautiful instrument. A little while back a friend asked me to check out a preamp problem he was having with his MTD 535. I was knocked out by the playability of the bass, and it kept niggling at me, so when I spotted this particular config (see below) i had to go for it!
It's really light, well balanced and great to play, though I do like long scale and wide string spacing. The sound is very flexible; I particularly like the mid frequency center selection switch on the MTD, as opposed to the dip-switch method used by Lakland, as it makes for quick dial-up of many different sounds, though in reality I'll only ever really want 2 or 3 max.
MTDs have a reputation for tending towards thinner lighter sound, but I used it through an ancient Peavey MKIII bass top and EBS 112, and it was great, though I did have bass up high and mid freq. at lowest freq. setting (250 Hz), slightly boosted.
When it arrived, the action was ridiculously low - thought I'd got a Strat! - so i've been toying around with action/neck relief for best combination. There was one odd problem: I found that playing a tritone at 10/11 frets on A/D strings created nut-side buzz - that's why I chose to slacken neck before adjusting action. Seems to have settled now, and can't wait to take it out next week!
The MTD is essentially a big sounding bass with ample ability to add barking mids or old school rumble. MT puts a lot of stock into keeping the electronics transparent, allowing wood characteristics to dictate sound voice. The Lakland US is possibly even bigger sounding, and is a heavier instrument, both in weight and size: the US neck is bigger, though still great to play, and dead spot free (honestly!), the first instrument I've owned to boast that. Recorded it's huge; truly a safe bet if you only bring a single bass to studio. it's too soon yet to say about the MTD, but so far so good.
There are some really great feature vids on Youtube showing Mike talking in his workshop.
Having played 2 of these basses, I can rate them extremely highly, for playability, sound, and excellent finish. Pics added, note truss rod cover (it's matching wood finish!) off while tweaking. Alder body, Rosewood fingerboard, spalted mango top. Sorry about dodgy pics.

[attachment=44726:MTD_Front.jpg]
[attachment=44727:MTD_Front_CU.jpg]
[attachment=44725:MTD_back_CU.jpg]