Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG Bass - Setup

Oggy

Hi Chaps,

I recently bought a new Gibson SG Bass, we're getting along famously and have managed 'between us' to get the action and intonation setup sorted (now I've figured out the 3 point bridge) to suit, we've settled on some nice flat wound strings so all is well and we're sounding very Bluesy. :lol:

While doing the above I wondered if I should be adjusting the screws under the strings that protrude from the pickups, I've resisted the temptation (so far) to play around with them as I've no idea what their purpose is and I'd hate to break something that isn't broke. Are these screws meant to be adjusted if the action is altered? Should there be a certain measured gap between the strings and the top of each screw for optimum pickup performance? I'm really asking what do they do and should I make adjustments to them? :)

Explanations and advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks - Oggy :rolleyes:

Yes, those two (or 4) screws around the pups will be for adjusting height of the pups.

There's no real set distance between them as it depends on the strength of the pup, too far and it'll sound quiet, too close and you start to affect the vibration characteristics of the string and can induce "wolf notes" and some clattering as well, but obviously the output goes up. Anywhere inbetween the min and max is fine. You can also adjust one side to tilt the pickup if the output across the strings isn't balanced.

Normally you wouldn't touch them when you alter the action unless you've gone from being able to fit a bus under the strings to a much much lower action.

Basically, if it's fine as it is, leave it as it is and have fun playing it.

[quote][u]BUZZ Wrote:-[/u]

Yes, those two (or 4) screws around the pups will be for adjusting height of the pups.

There's no real set distance between them as it depends on the strength of the pup, too far and it'll sound quiet, too close and you start to affect the vibration characteristics of the string and can induce "wolf notes" and some clattering as well, but obviously the output goes up. Anywhere inbetween the min and max is fine. You can also adjust one side to tilt the pickup if the output across the strings isn't balanced.

Normally you wouldn't touch them when you alter the action unless you've gone from being able to fit a bus under the strings to a much much lower action.

Basically, if it's fine as it is, leave it as it is and have fun playing it.[/quote]

Thanks Buss - The Action was 'very high' when I got the bass, my adjustment haven't made the strings so low that they clip the pickups so all is OK. I've made a slight angle adjustment to one side of the Pickups to give an even distance between the four strings and the surface if both pickups. In honesty I only really use the bridge pickup as a thumb rest, it's the fret side pickup and the tone control plus the amp EQ that do the rest.

Thanks again Buzz.

[quote][b]hillbilly deluxe Wrote:-[/b]

You can adjust the pole piece screws,but you only need to if one of the strings sounds louder or weaker than the rest.[/quote]

Thanks hillbilly, I had a feeling in my water that was what they were for - makes sense when I think about it. I've not noticed any large variations in the volume between the strings; I'll check it out at our next practice session where I can play a wee bit louder.

Thanks hillbilly, much appreciate.

--------------------------------------

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='773567' date='Mar 13 2010, 01:02 PM']If there are no problems with string balance,leave it as it is.You can still adjust the overall pickup height if you need to.[/quote]

I always take a small flat blade screwdriver with me... what can sound perfectly balanced one day at home can sound out the next day at reherasal, or at a gig

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='773648' date='Mar 13 2010, 03:11 PM']I always take a small flat blade screwdriver with me... what can sound perfectly balanced one day at home can sound out the next day at reherasal, or at a gig[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------
Hi evilLordJuju and fellow Basschatters,

I played at reasonable volume last nigh and guess what :) ? Yup the E has less volume than the A & D and the G is very 'bright'.

The plan is:-

1. Make sure I'm happy with the height of the pickups.

2. Screw all 4 of the poles IN until flush with surface of the pickup.

3. Set Volume and tone controls to where I usually have them.

4. Start with screw under E string and unscrew OUT until volume is as I would expect it be on the Amp and Bass settings.

5. Then work down the A, then the D and finally the G pole screws; adjusting each to match the volume on the E.

Depending on how far the pole screws protrude; I may have to repeat 4 and 5 a few times if the pole screws end up in extreme positions.

What do you think? Is this the way forward?

All comments and advice welcome.

Oggy:)

----------------------------------------------------

[quote name='Oggy' post='777639' date='Mar 17 2010, 04:53 PM']-------------------------------------------------

The plan is:-

1. Make sure I'm happy with the height of the pickups.

2. Screw all 4 of the poles IN until flush with surface of the pickup.

3. Set Volume and tone controls to where I usually have them.

4. Start with screw under E string and unscrew OUT until volume is as I would expect it be on the Amp and Bass settings.

5. Then work down the A, then the D and finally the G pole screws; adjusting each to match the volume on the E.

Depending on how far the pole screws protrude; I may have to repeat 4 and 5 a few times if the pole screws end up in extreme positions.

What do you think? Is this the way forward?

----------------------------------------------------[/quote]
----------------------------------------------------

Hi fellow Basschatters,

Just to report back for those that are interested:

I 'sort of' followed my plan and now have the string volumes even.

I set the amp volume at a reasonable level and had the Bass pickup volume / tone settings in the regular position for the neck pickup, made the adjustments to each pole screw, comparing string volumes with each other and tweeking until each string was at +/- the same volume. Turned the neck pickup off, turned the bridge pickup on and repeated the process for that pickup.

I now have all string volumes even on both the neck and bridge pickups - sounds great I'm well happy.

I've also learned something - Doing your own 'general' bass maintainance can save you a few bob and it's interesting, just take your time and ask questions if your not sure.

Oggy :)

-------------------------------------------------------

One other solution is to set the outside polepieces flush with the cover and set the others at the same radius of the fingerboard.

Make sure that the polepieces don't lie in line with the strings as then you have less magnet picking up the string. Zig-zag or screws at right-angles to the string are the norm.