Why become a member? ×

Wondering what you think of this song I made

xilddx

Wondering what you think of this. I wrote and recorded it quite a while ago. There's a lot of guitar on it! But this was when I was a guitwat and only played bass for recording songs. The bass is pretty much improvised.

I'm flying solo on this, I had a electronic kit too, but decided on the Alesis SR16 in the end.

I still like it actually, I think it's a pretty good tune. It's called White Boy, but it's not racist as one knob end thought without having heard the words :rolleyes:

I'd appreciate your comments.

Cheers as always :)

Edited by silddx

I like it.......

Ok, let me go a little deeper.......

I admit that I listened to it on a laptop, so the speakers do not really do the song justice, but the quality of the recording was obvious.

the whole thing was well thought out with some very nice guitar work, good song structure, intelligent lyrics.

You seem to imply that the bass work was a secondary consideration and was essentially improvised, but it doesn't come across like that at all....Guitar and bass seem to sit together just right.

I personally do not have a problem with people using drum machines instead of live drums - as long as they are used well - too many people don't seem to be able to put enough work into the programming, and tend towords robotic and repetative beats, and while these have their place, can often detract from an otherwise good track - you seem to have put some thought and effort into it, and it pays off, although fairly simplistic, it works very well indeed.

Vocals - nice melody line, well sung....what else I can say.

In all - an interseting song - well recorded, and reminded me of some-one else I used to listen to, but I'm buggered if I can remember who.

Anyway - thank you for that, an enjoyable and interesting diversion in my day.....in fact, I think this is the first thing I have played that has been posted on the forum, where the other half has actually commented that she likes it.....

Hey Nigel

That was cool - I really enjoyed the overall vibe reminded me of some American singer/songwriter stuff I like - stuff like Jason Falkner/Jellyfish but a bit more melancholy - but that's a good thing. If I have one minor criticism is that the guitar sounds out of tune - I'm not that bothered by stuff like this but it just means some of the notes in the solo jarr a bit with the backing - the playing is all good, just a shame some of it (to my ears) sounds a bit out. I have to admit I someitmes forget to tune up before I record but I try and stay in the habit of checking the tuning now.

I definitely dig the vibe though- very cool.

Cheers

Mike

PS that's a bloody catchy tune as well! :)

Thank you, Mike!

It is a tad OOT, I had a MIJ Strat that was a lovely player but I couldn't get it to stay in tune properly.

I've got an album's worth I did around the same time, and a few new ones, I'm thinking I might give myself a little project and re-recording and arranging them from scratch, just for fun! When I get the time.

Really appreciate your comments. And Arsenic's.

Cheers.

BTW, I installed the latest QT and I still can't play your number. :)

[quote name='silddx' post='773599' date='Mar 13 2010, 01:48 PM']Thank you, Mike!

It is a tad OOT, I had a MIJ Strat that was a lovely player but I couldn't get it to stay in tune properly.

I've got an album's worth I did around the same time, and a few new ones, I'm thinking I might give myself a little project and re-recording and arranging them from scratch, just for fun! When I get the time.

Really appreciate your comments. And Arsenic's.

Cheers.

BTW, I installed the latest QT and I still can't play your number. :)[/quote]

Cool man - I'll PM you with a file of my thing

Mike

Did someone mention reverb? I'm a reverb tart, love it. Should be made law that there must reverb on everything. :)

As with aresnic and urb and as I've alluded to before I like your solo stuff (as does Mrs M, she has impeccable taste, married me after all).

EDIT: I can't really comment on the mix and so forth, I've listened to them through my iMac and the speakers are quite frankly awful and tinny.EDIT
As a tune, I probably prefer Sun Shine.
Great stuff.

Cheers

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' post='775613' date='Mar 15 2010, 08:03 PM']Did someone mention reverb? I'm a reverb tart, love it. Should be made law that there must reverb on everything. :rolleyes:

As with aresnic and urb and as I've alluded to before I like your solo stuff (as does Mrs M, she has impeccable taste, married me after all).

EDIT: I can't really comment on the mix and so forth, I've listened to them through my iMac and the speakers are quite frankly awful and tinny.EDIT
As a tune, I probably prefer Sun Shine.
Great stuff.

Cheers[/quote]
I seem to be a hit with the laydees :lol:

Thanks Marv. :)