Why become a member? ×

olp bass not working !!

mark54

hey guys
i just bought an OLP mm2 a guy from another band had one with the same amp i have ( line 6 300w lowdown) it sounded awesome so i bought one , i put it through my amp and even at half way up in volume i am hardly getting any sound out , i switched back to my ibanez an it was loud but their doesnn't seem to be any loose wires with i took the chrome control unit off ( 1 volume an 2 tone ) so i have no idea what could be wrong ( and yes the volume control is up :) )

any thing i'm missing has anyone had the same problems

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thx

[quote name='mark54' post='772372' date='Mar 12 2010, 06:53 AM']hey guys
i just bought an OLP mm2 a guy from another band had one with the same amp i have ( line 6 300w lowdown) it sounded awesome so i bought one , i put it through my amp and even at half way up in volume i am hardly getting any sound out , i switched back to my ibanez an it was loud but their doesnn't seem to be any loose wires with i took the chrome control unit off ( 1 volume an 2 tone ) so i have no idea what could be wrong ( and yes the volume control is up :) )

any thing i'm missing has anyone had the same problems

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thx[/quote]
You say the volume is up. Do you mean the volume knob or the volume or 'output' control on the pre amp (if there is one? I didnt even know about the one on my Hohner till yesterday)

Edited by daz

I have an OLP, and there great basses for the money. Unlike an active bass, the output will be lower, but there are things you can do it help increase volume. Make sure the pickup is not sitting too low under the strings, this can have some noticeable effect on volume... so either raise the pickup and/or lower the action. The pickup on the original OLP's aren't great, but a good replacement can be had for little money if required. There are also pre-wired preamps available that you simply swap out with your existing control plate, just connect the pickup and away you go. Simple, easy and affordable. Just make sure you can fit the battery in! Otherwise a route out under the pickguard might be required.

[quote name='daz' post='772576' date='Mar 12 2010, 11:12 AM']You say the volume is up. Do you mean the volume knob or the volume or 'output' control on the pre amp (if there is one? I didnt even know about the one on my Hohner till yesterday)[/quote]

the volume knob is up, my tuner wont recognise it which i think is strange thanks for the ideas guys will give em a try

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='mark54' post='774665' date='Mar 14 2010, 09:39 PM']the volume knob is up, my tuner wont recognise it which i think is strange thanks for the ideas guys will give em a try[/quote]

I'm looking at replacing the terrible OLP MM2 pickup with either a Kent Armstrong or a Wizard "Magicmaster" - anybody have any ideas which is better - I'm looking for a bright, brassy tone and might even look at a dummy second coil and go for a single coil version as in the NOrdstrand (only cheaper hopefully).

Which Artec did you go for V4lve? I can't see an MM replacement in their line.

I'll update when I eventually change the pickup - but the output is murder on the OLP, if it didn't feel so perfect to play it would be gone.