Why become a member? ×

DGCF

ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='Basska' post='775918' date='Mar 16 2010, 05:47 AM']+1 on that statement being a total farce lol[/quote]
-1. In my experience that's [u][b]exactly[/b][/u] what it's for! IMHO, YMMV, etc.

[quote name='Basska' post='775918' date='Mar 16 2010, 05:47 AM']+1 on that statement being a total farce lol[/quote]

I have nothing against proper open tunings but the whole point of drop D is so that 5th chords can be played on 1 fret over the "E" (now low D), A and D strings. :)

There have been some songs that use drop D properly, Lullaby by Creed being one that's lovely, but in general, there's no real advantage to drop D apart from the 5th chords, so it's just lazyness in 99% of cases. I'm not saying all bands that use drop D are no good either, Tool are one of my fave bands for example and obviously my band plays in drop D sometimes to spark this debate. It's just a guitarist thing. :rolleyes:

The easiness of a 5th chord is a total technicality! A technicality that only works if you assume the vast majority of guitarist actually know their theory. I play a 5 string bass so I have the use of a low B without detuning. You'd need a seven string guitar to make a low d without detuning. How many kids have you met at the ages of between 13 and 21 had 7 string guitars? Any of the kids I've ever met use drop D tuning use it so can get the low notes and make a nice rink gink gink gink sound haha. If anything it's a 60/40 split with the majority vote for making heavier sounding music

The debate is on... We might need a thread :)

Chris

I don't really like all this drop tuning lark.It throws off my whole frame
of reference,although I can handle drop D. I'm yet to come across something that
I haven't been able to play in standard tuning. I do have a Hipshot extender key on
my main Fender for the odd time where I may have to read a low Eb or D and I'm not
using my 5,but it's rare that I use it.
Out of all my instruments the only one in a different tuning is tuned up to 'tenor' tuning
ADGC.

Also,to add some possible controversy..... Lower tuning does not make the music heavy.
Some of the heaviest music ever has been played in standard tunings.

[quote name='Doddy' post='776887' date='Mar 17 2010, 02:49 AM']Also,to add some possible controversy..... Lower tuning does not make the music heavy.
Some of the heaviest music ever has been played in standard tunings.[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it did! A good majority of bands in my genre (Ska/Punk/Hardcore/Metaliska) are a prime example that you don't. I just meant that there is a certain sound you get only when you have the looseness of a detuned allot of kids go for that these days.

Chris

Edited by Basska

[quote name='Basska' post='776893' date='Mar 17 2010, 03:37 AM']Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it did![/quote]

I wasn't saying it specifically to you-no need to aplogise :)
It was more of a generalised statement as so many people
now think that the lower the tuning, the heavier the music.