Why become a member? ×

NEW Fender Deluxe Models!

Musicman20

Nice review Andy!

The ones we had in at GAK have all been pretty heavy (10 - 10 1/2lbs) which is dissapointing...other than that they are very good! nice feel and sound great with the new N3 pups!

We will be selecting the lighter ones for the shop in future! :)

Cool, thanks for the review :)

I was all set on one of these, but the very trebly sound a few players have noted has put me off. I owned a Deluxe P for a while, and it wasnt my cup of tea. I think ill be sticking with the American Standards...purely as at heart with a Fender Im a passive guy.

WIll be interested to see a few more of these. That is a an unusual sunburst actually...not in a bad sense, just a very red deep burst :rolleyes:

Brilliant pics Rich - very useful. I would be tempted by a natural Jazz 4.

Also very useful review Andy.

I've seen comments here and on Talkbass about pickup noise and heaviness (as in up to 10 lbs).

I've also heard from Soundslive.co.uk that the initial batch of deluxes have been recalled due to the wrong finish being applied. Don't know if that's just dealer BS (apologies to all dealers!) or if there's something going on.

I would be very interested in one of these, but I don't have the time to visit every dealer to find one that's the right weight (around 8.5 lbs would be good) and that doesn't have significant earthing issues. Would be great if Fender upped their consistency and QA, and if they screened as standard (would it really cost that much if made part of a standard production process?).

On an instrument with such a good basic design spec it seems sad that Fender can't go the extra yard or two to make it really exceptional.

Still I suppose that's how they drum up business for the Custom Shop.

Dust clouds willing there may be a few more in the country before too long.

[quote name='NAS' post='811427' date='Apr 19 2010, 03:21 PM']Brilliant pics Rich - very useful. I would be tempted by a natural Jazz 4.

Also very useful review Andy.

I've seen comments here and on Talkbass about pickup noise and heaviness (as in up to 10 lbs).

I've also heard from Soundslive.co.uk that the initial batch of deluxes have been recalled due to the wrong finish being applied. Don't know if that's just dealer BS (apologies to all dealers!) or if there's something going on.

I would be very interested in one of these, but I don't have the time to visit every dealer to find one that's the right weight (around 8.5 lbs would be good) and that doesn't have significant earthing issues. Would be great if Fender upped their consistency and QA, and if they screened as standard (would it really cost that much if made part of a standard production process?).

On an instrument with such a good basic design spec it seems sad that Fender can't go the extra yard or two to make it really exceptional.

Still I suppose that's how they drum up business for the Custom Shop.

Dust clouds willing there may be a few more in the country before too long.[/quote]

I think their initial run was rushed...looking at the reviews on tbass. I think its always best to leave it 6 months just to see how things go. They could really 'nail' the superjazz market it they get these right. Not being shielded and high weights keep me from wanting one now. There are obviously diamonds in the rough though, as per the review above.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='811439' date='Apr 19 2010, 03:33 PM']I think their initial run was rushed...looking at the reviews on tbass. I think its always best to leave it 6 months just to see how things go. They could really 'nail' the superjazz market it they get these right. Not being shielded and high weights keep me from wanting one now. There are obviously diamonds in the rough though, as per the review above.[/quote]

Oh Gareth, diamonds in the rough as per usual. I found one as well...

So there I was quite happy with the sound of my AV-Series Precision, nicely filling in the vintage gap in my collection & I got the chance to play one of these new Deluxe models (the Precision) with the new N3 Jazz pickup & the new preamp through a new TV series BassMan amp. Oh dear.

It was utterly fantastic. Possibly the best wooden bass I've played this year. The new preamp is massive sounding with loads of punch, the playability of the new deluxe is excellent & the passive tone control is a nice bonus as well. I actually sat playing the thing for nearly an hour. Good job I was actually in the place doing some consultancy work for the dealer today! I suppose the thing that impressed me the most was the new preamp. The old one was very harsh sounding & they seem to have got the frequencies right this time. The new one sounds amazing with the treble and bass max'd with the mids flat. A Precision that slaps just as well as a Jazz. Pity it was the white one. If it was the natural one I'd have happily gone into debt for it!

So, yes - As per usual if you find a nice one, you're set. These are lovely basses. So do I sell the AV62 or save my pennies? Hmmmm... :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='828003' date='May 4 2010, 10:58 PM']Oh Gareth, diamonds in the rough as per usual. I found one as well...

So there I was quite happy with the sound of my AV-Series Precision, nicely filling in the vintage gap in my collection & I got the chance to play one of these new Deluxe models (the Precision) with the new N3 Jazz pickup & the new preamp through a new TV series BassMan amp. Oh dear.

It was utterly fantastic. Possibly the best wooden bass I've played this year. The new preamp is massive sounding with loads of punch, the playability of the new deluxe is excellent & the passive tone control is a nice bonus as well. I actually sat playing the thing for nearly an hour. Good job I was actually in the place doing some consultancy work for the dealer today! I suppose the thing that impressed me the most was the new preamp. The old one was very harsh sounding & they seem to have got the frequencies right this time. The new one sounds amazing with the treble and bass max'd with the mids flat. A Precision that slaps just as well as a Jazz. Pity it was the white one. If it was the natural one I'd have happily gone into debt for it!

So, yes - As per usual if you find a nice one, you're set. These are lovely basses. So do I sell the AV62 or save my pennies? Hmmmm... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Oh don't sell the 62! Too nice :)

I've been playing my Fenders at home recently and decided these are definitely spot on, to the point where I don't need any more. I'm not even thinking vintage Fenders...happy with what I've got. Tis a great feeling.

I've strayed back into EB, and the Big Al 5 is exactly the kind if bass I want next...eg unique, awesome tone, and EB quality.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='828057' date='May 4 2010, 10:54 PM']Oh don't sell the 62! Too nice :)

I've been playing my Fenders at home recently and decided these are definitely spot on, to the point where I don't need any more. I'm not even thinking vintage Fenders...happy with what I've got. Tis a great feeling.

I've strayed back into EB, and the Big Al 5 is exactly the kind if bass I want next...eg unique, awesome tone, and EB quality.[/quote]

Anyone tell me how these compare to a MM SR4 HH? I bought the latter in Dec09 a month after buying an Amer Std Jazz but I just haven't gelled with the SR at all. I just can't get a sound for live perf. that I'm happy with. I recently bought the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal and it makes the Jazz sound massive. Seriously thinking of selling the MM which I rarely play and getting one of these Deluxes. Any advice or opinions from those who have played both?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='828057' date='May 4 2010, 11:54 PM']Oh don't sell the 62! Too nice :)

I've strayed back into EB, and the Big Al 5 is exactly the kind if bass I want next...eg unique, awesome tone, and EB quality.[/quote]

Heh! Yes, I know what you mean. The AV62 is a really nice instrument, so I've put the Road Worn up for grabs. Trouble is, that's the best sounding and playing Jazz I've ever encountered as well! We'll see what happens, but it goes to show how good the new Deluxe Precision I played was :rolleyes: