Why become a member? ×

Gain problems on LMK

Riddler

Hi All

Just needed a bit of advice please.

I recently brought a Fender Jazz Deluxe second hand from GAK in Brighton. It’s a lovely bass and came already modded with Sadowsky pups and Sadowsky VTC preamp.

I’m playing through a Markbass LMK.

Because the output of the Jazz is so high I’m having to set the gain of the LMK so low that it’s almost impossible to avoid the blue clipping light coming on most of the time. The gain is set at a fraction of a % past zero.

Am I being stupid and missing a switch for active basses on the LMK? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Graham

I use an LMK with my Roscoe, on which I boost the active controls quite high. I have both channels on at once and my volumes are set at approx number 2, inc the master. The blue light comes on occasionally, but I ignore it, as there's masses of headroom. However, if it's on all the time, there could be a problem, but it's doubtful.

If you're concerned I have an email address for one of their customer service guys. Very helpful.

[quote name='Riddler' post='768413' date='Mar 8 2010, 07:58 PM']Hi All

Just needed a bit of advice please.

I recently brought a Fender Jazz Deluxe second hand from GAK in Brighton. It’s a lovely bass and came already modded with Sadowsky pups and Sadowsky VTC preamp.

I’m playing through a Markbass LMK.

Because the output of the Jazz is so high I’m having to set the gain of the LMK so low that it’s almost impossible to avoid the blue clipping light coming on most of the time. The gain is set at a fraction of a % past zero.

Am I being stupid and missing a switch for active basses on the LMK? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Graham[/quote]

I've used a variety of basses - passive and active - with my LMK and have never had the problem you describe. I think even with very hot output instruments, you shouldn't be having to set the gain quite so low - sounds to me like there must be a technical issue with the head. I'd get on to MarkBass - I've always found them helpful in the past. Good luck with it.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

The blue light isn't on constanlty but is flickering most of the time but I do usually have the bass control on the LMK boosted a bit, and the bass, treble and treble boost of the VTC is usually pretty cranked up too! So I guess I should back off a bit eh!

Pete, could you let me have that email for the customer services guys please.

Thanks again, Good old BC always gets results

Cheers
Graham