Why become a member? ×

Cab issues/Speaker blown?

Hi guys,

I took receipt of an EBS Neoline 115 yesterday. I tried it out a week ago in the studio of the same guy I bought my Fafner head from and a well trusted local musician. I was busy yesterday but he was kind enough to offer to deliver for me. I did not get chance to try the speaker until today however as my amp was at the studio until late last night.

This morning I plugged in my amp, set it all up, flipped it on... oh!

I get hiss and ping from the Tweeter, clearly pushing the top end, and as I adjust the tweeter control on the back of the cab the signal through the tweeter gets louder/quieter as it should... but absolutely nothing through the 15. No movement, no sound etc. No sign of damage etc and I know it worked perfect a week ago.

Now, I'm not being ripped off, the chap I bought it from has already agreed to pop over this evening, collect it and give me the cash back. In fact he sounded positively mortified. Issue is I want the cab!! Its pristine condition and has never left the studio since it was bough just under 2 years ago.

I have contacted Bernie at GB/EBS and he is going to call me back later, but thought I'd try you guys in case I was missing something...

I've tried a number of cable, both speakon and jack to ensure it was not a cable or socket issue...

Cheers

Shep

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='763026' date='Mar 3 2010, 03:10 PM']I'm not very experienced with cabs... looking at it, I assume its all accessed from the front and everything pulls out that way. I don't have a meter though...[/quote]

You can get to the connectors for the main driver from the crossover panel (located on the rear of the cab). Both the feeds for the tweeter and main driver come from there.

I've taken the back panel off, it doesn't give you much room to move to I have found the issue... excuse the non technical terms!

There is a red and black cable that runs from the crossover panel to the speaker and they are camped in with a par if screws. They are fine. From this two screws run two more cable that go down in to the speaker. One of the two (one coming from the red wire's screw) has become disconnected. From what I can feel (as I can't see), they are soldered onto small metal tabs and it feels as though the metal tab has broken off... although it may solder back on...but I assume I have to take the speaker out of the front...?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='763063' date='Mar 3 2010, 03:45 PM']By holding my hand inside the the hole inthe back of the cab with my cam and snapping away I managed to find the problem!!! Lucky shot...

You can see the little metal plate the cable solders to has snapped as opposed to the solder coming loose...[/quote]

Hope you got your soldering iron ready.

Undo the two screws on the front of the grill. Pull the grill sideways to release the grill from one side of the cab and then pull the other side of the grill out of the recess on the other side of the cab. Make sure you keep the washer, screw and rubber tubing safe. From there, unscrew all the screws from the speaker. Lift the speaker out. Solder and fix. Put the speaker back in. Replace the screws around the speaker. Put one half of the grill back in the recess and position the rubber tubings in place over the screw holes. Careful push the remaining side of the grill into the recess. Replace the washers and screws. Job done.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='763070' date='Mar 3 2010, 03:57 PM']Hope you got your soldering iron ready.

Undo the two screws on the front of the grill. Pull the grill sideways to release the grill from one side of the cab and then pull the other side of the grill out of the recess on the other side of the cab. Make sure you keep the washer, screw and rubber tubing safe. From there, unscrew all the screws from the speaker. Lift the speaker out. Solder and fix. Put the speaker back in. Replace the screws around the speaker. Put one half of the grill back in the recess and position the rubber tubings in place over the screw holes. Careful push the remaining side of the grill into the recess. Replace the washers and screws. Job done.[/quote]

A sterling idea!

Or... I can do what bernie just suggested and have him do it on Sunday :-)

I am unsure about soldering it as the metal contact has actually snapped in two, rather than the cable coming off. Either way, come the weekend it should all be good! Fingers crossed!

Is that the lead between the terminal and the voice coil that has detached?

When you reattach it, ensure it doesn't twist as it is a flexing part and can fatigue, or worse shift about and touch its neighbour, giving you a dead short (I've dlown a few fuses with one that did that).

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='763112' date='Mar 3 2010, 04:41 PM']Is that the lead between the terminal and the voice coil that has detached?

When you reattach it, ensure it doesn't twist as it is a flexing part and can fatigue, or worse shift about and touch its neighbour, giving you a dead short (I've dlown a few fuses with one that did that).[/quote]

Er... I think so... The metal contact has broken and the cable is detached. Looks like a fatigue break on the contact anyway, I assume as it was not soldered correctly during manufacture.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='763116' date='Mar 3 2010, 04:42 PM']Wimp![/quote]

You know it! :-)