Why become a member? ×

Pot Question

silentbob

[quote name='silentbob' post='762247' date='Mar 2 2010, 08:57 PM']Are CTS pots suitable for both volume and tone controls? The old pots i've removed from my Encore P are marked A500K for tone, and B500K for volume, but the CTS pots don't seem to have any ratings.[/quote]

A is a logarithmic potentiometer (used particularly for volume) and B is linear (often used for tone pots)

what other marks are there on the CTS pots ? (assuming there are any)

[quote name='Paul_C' post='762265' date='Mar 2 2010, 09:10 PM']A is a logarithmic potentiometer (used particularly for volume) and B is linear (often used for tone pots)

what other marks are there on the CTS pots ? (assuming there are any)[/quote]

Don't have any CTS pots, just been looking to buy some on the net to replace the old ones, but it looks like they only make one type. Is there another recommended producer of pots i should check out?

[quote name='silentbob' post='762427' date='Mar 3 2010, 12:00 AM']Thanks, there's a good little guide that expains it all on that page.[/quote]

except the explanation is ut**r bo****ks . . . er, inaccurate.

a log pot is used for volume as the human ear doesn't hear a linear increase in volume in a smooth fashion - if you fit a linear pot as a vol pot you get a huge jump in volume towards the end of the travel of the pot instead of a gradual increase, so it works more like an on/off switch.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='762448' date='Mar 3 2010, 12:34 AM']except the explanation is ut**r bo****ks . . . er, inaccurate.

a log pot is used for volume as the human ear doesn't hear a linear increase in volume in a smooth fashion - if you fit a linear pot as a vol pot you get a huge jump in volume towards the end of the travel of the pot instead of a gradual increase, so it works more like an on/off switch.[/quote]

Right, let me see if i've got this sussed. CTS only produce log pots, and these will be suitable for both tone and volume. Is that right?

[quote name='silentbob' post='762453' date='Mar 3 2010, 12:50 AM']Right, let me see if i've got this sussed. CTS only produce log pots, and these will be suitable for both tone and volume. Is that right?[/quote]

no, CTS make log and lin pots - but log pots can be used for both applications while lin pots are better left just to tone pots