Why become a member? ×

Dunlop strap pin question

dave_bass5

Ive just put the above on a bass and not sure why but the one on the top horn was a right bugger to get in.
Ive got it almost all the way in but have stripped the head so i cant tighten it up any more.

As its so tight its not going to come out so is it safe to use? I would say there's about 3mm of play.
I know its not ideal but it feel pretty safe.

Cheers.

Only one way to find out Dave.

If it was me, I'd have it out one way or another and refit it - I buggered up the first Dunlop strap pins I ever fitted because the screws are bigger and you need to drill a hole big enough for the screw - it gives you the measurement on the back of the pack and it's something daft and American like 7/32". I ended up making a right mess trying to drill the screw off (a technique that had worked for me previously) and ended up having to take my LP to a tech who had to sort out the strap button and respray an area of guitar I'd fecked up.

Good luck!

Cheers John.
The only way ill get it off is to hacksaw it. There is a gap just big enough but im not sure i could get the rest of it out. Might be able to use pliers to twist it out i guess.
The other one went in fine so maybe i put the Horn one in at an angle.
Maybe i could squeeze another washer under the button. It already has a nylon/plastic one there to protect the bass. At least another one would stop the button moving about.
To be honest im happy to leave it as it is rather than make a mess of it and have to spend money (like buying a hacksaw).

Do you have a tool that would allow you to cut a slot in what remains of the screw-head? If you can make a slot, you should be able to get the screw out fairly painlessly (it's a trick I've seen my joiner friends pull-off). I think I'd be tempted to try to remove the screw and start again. An alternative as you say is to fit another washer (maybe a split washer or felt washer that you can split yourself to get over the screw?)

The heads of the Dunlop screws are a bit smaller than average and it might just fall off. Ive check and the whole thing is on securely enough.
The screw head is very deep inside the button now so im tempted to just leave it. I know if i start messing with it ill just make things worse.

I was thinking of a felt or rubber washer, split just enough to squeeze it underneath the button.

Thanks for the suggestions.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='762385' date='Mar 2 2010, 11:21 PM']Cheers John.
The only way ill get it off is to hacksaw it. There is a gap just big enough but im not sure i could get the rest of it out. Might be able to use pliers to twist it out i guess.
The other one went in fine so maybe i put the Horn one in at an angle.
Maybe i could squeeze another washer under the button. It already has a nylon/plastic one there to protect the bass. At least another one would stop the button moving about.
To be honest im happy to leave it as it is rather than make a mess of it and have to spend money (like buying a hacksaw).[/quote]

You could drill the head out - I've done this 3 times and only really cocked it up once (but boy did I cock it up and it was a screw supplied with Dunlop Straploks too). If you can get a screw extractor into it or do what lozbass suggests, that's the route I'd go. If it's secure and in no danger of it falling out it should be ok.