Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Mag 300W 210 combo

bungle

I've picked up what I think is a bargain, a MAG 210 300w combo for £150 s/h. It's in pretty decent condition.

I have a few questions:

1) It's been rewired to 4 ohms internally, rather than 8. Obviously this means it's using the full 300w all the time (potentially good), but I can't use an extension cab (potentially bad, but I don't currently have one anyway). Do people have this sort of thing done often or is it unusual? Does anyone know what wattage it would be at 8 ohms, the manual I've browsed online doesn't say.

2) I also notice that it doesn't have the usual blue ashdown drivers, is this a sign they are replacements, or are some older ashdowns fitted with different drivers? Could this be connected to the rewiring to 4 ohms?

3) Reading on here, lots of people seem to like to put their 2x10s vertically rather than horizontally. Will I be alright turning the combo on it's side for this?

4) Was it a bargain?

Cheers,
Andy

[quote name='bungle' post='761764' date='Mar 2 2010, 01:30 PM']I've picked up what I think is a bargain, a MAG 210 300w combo for £150 s/h. It's in pretty decent condition.

I have a few questions:

1) It's been rewired to 4 ohms internally, rather than 8. Obviously this means it's using the full 300w all the time (potentially good), but I can't use an extension cab (potentially bad, but I don't currently have one anyway). Do people have this sort of thing done often or is it unusual? Does anyone know what wattage it would be at 8 ohms, the manual I've browsed online doesn't say.

2) I also notice that it doesn't have the usual blue ashdown drivers, is this a sign they are replacements, or are some older ashdowns fitted with different drivers? Could this be connected to the rewiring to 4 ohms?

3) Reading on here, lots of people seem to like to put their 2x10s vertically rather than horizontally. Will I be alright turning the combo on it's side for this?

4) Was it a bargain?

Cheers,
Andy[/quote]

I would of thought the speakers have been replaced to handle the full 300watts, you might want to check the wattage written on the speakers otherwise you will blow them. The original speakers wouldn't have been 150 watts each.

From the website it looks like an Ashdown MAG 300 head sat on top of a MAG 210T cab, which at 8 ohms looks like a continuous 200 watts.

sounds like a good deal at that price.

Edited by thebassman

As you surmise, possibly rewired to 4 ohms to match the combined impedance of the new speakers rather than an attempt to get the full whack without using an ext cab. It's worth checking the speakers' impedance rating along with the wattage - may be printed back of the speakers - and have a gander to see how they're wired up.

Assuming the job was done properly, £150 is quite a good price for one of these nice little combos.

Edited by skankdelvar

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I just blew the speakers on My Mag 300 & can confirm that the factory fitted drivers are 2 x 16 Ohms 100W & blue linered. After speaking with Ashdown it has been suggested that I replace the speakers with 8 Ohm versions, which they of course, can supply. interestingly they will be BLACK linered

I'd be interested in any one who also has had the misfortune of blowing their drivers (mine went mid set!!) I didn't think I was pushing them particularly hard!?!

Best

WG

It can be worth bearing in mind that the setting on the volume control doesn't necessarily correspond to the power output, ie if the volume is turned up 75% of the way it doesn't mean the amp will be putting out 75% of it's rated power. It's not unknown for manufacturers to deliberately have most of the volume available in the first part of the pots travel to make the amp appear louder in the shop.

Combine that with a lot of bass boost and maybe a bit of distortion to mask the sound of the speakers complaining, and it's easier than you'd think to blow the drivers.

I replaced the blue speaker in my old MAG 300 C-115 last month for a slightly higher powered version.
I dont know what happened to the old speaker but it just stopped working. It looks fine but its dead.

I had an email from Ashdown with a price for a new driver but ended up getting it from on line, i think i saved about £25.

I read somewhere that with as they come the combos put out around 2/3 the total rated power in to just the internal speakers at 8ohms

Edited by dave_bass5