Why become a member? ×

Weedy G-string (stop sniggering)

radansey

All the strings on my Curbow 5 sound full and resonant - except for the G-string, which sounds very weedy, no tone and bit 'quiet' compared to its siblings particularly the first five frets.

The strings are 40-125 D'addarios which were replaced 2 months ago. It is a problem with the neck, pick-up, pre-amp, amplifier, speaker or what??

Pulling my (greying) hair out a bit so any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Ross

[quote name='radansey' post='761473' date='Mar 2 2010, 07:56 AM']All the strings on my Curbow 5 sound full and resonant - except for the G-string, which sounds very weedy, no tone and bit 'quiet' compared to its siblings particularly the first five frets.

The strings are 40-125 D'addarios which were replaced 2 months ago. It is a problem with the neck, pick-up, pre-amp, amplifier, speaker or what??

Pulling my (greying) hair out a bit so any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Ross[/quote]

Suggestions:

Make sure you're testing with your amp EQ flat so that it can be eliminated from the enquiries
Try experimenting with pickup height - bring the G side up a little to meet the string.
Could be a dodgy string - was this a problem 2 months ago with the previous set of strings?
40-125 is a fairly light set, perhaps the 40 G string doesn't suit this bass very well - try a 45 or even a 50?

[quote name='Toasted' post='761577' date='Mar 2 2010, 10:16 AM']I'd personally bring the pickup closer to the G string on the G side.[/quote]

Surely this would just increase the volume of the G-string - the string sounds deadened/muted though.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='762497' date='Mar 3 2010, 04:36 AM']Is this your first 5-string? Do you pick the G especially differently to the other strings (different angle of attack, different preferred finger maybe)?[/quote]

No. I have played 5-ers before. Interestingly, I used the 1x15" last night instead of the 1x12" and it sounded better. So maybe its an amp thing?