Why become a member? ×

Keep or Change Bass ?

lojo

Hi

Last year I decided to invest in a bass as an asset/toy, but apart from a MM id never really owned anything that impressive (because id always been happy with basic basses, I use a MIM P for gigs at the Mo)

Anyway, Id always wanted a maple ric, since I was a kid, so after seeing Alan put his as new 4003 on the forum I raced round and brought it

However, as much as I love it (play it alot at home), I have found that deep down I am really a fender/ernie ball guy gig wise

I could and would be happy hanging the Ric on the wall (great painting!) for 20 years, but think it maybe better to pass it on to someone who may use it and release the money to get something id use more

Perhaps a vintage fender bass? it would have to be something that would also be an asset

Sorry for the life story, but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Edited by lojo

As a purely pragmatic pro who won't keep a bass that isn't earning him money, I'd say that if you've already been thinking about it, you'll probably end up doing it and finding something else you'll gig. Much better in the long run.

Anyway, who do you think you are with that Rickenbacker plank? Lemmy? :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='761244' date='Mar 1 2010, 09:38 PM']As a purely pragmatic pro who won't keep a bass that isn't earning him money, I'd say that if you've already been thinking about it, you'll probably end up doing it and finding something else you'll gig. Much better in the long run.

Anyway, who do you think you are with that Rickenbacker plank? Lemmy? :)[/quote]

Ha, cheers for the replies guys

Not Lemmy (although ace of spades is on the agenda for our tongue in cheek cheesy 80s set, crowds do seem to crave the heavier stuff once they've had a few)

I first realized what bass was when I heard a wings album, I was really young, I mentioned it at school (along with a few other not so cool bands with nice bass lines) stood up for my taste and got beaten up for it, so I feel I earned the right to play one, but it took another 30 years to get one

Edited by lojo

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='761567' date='Mar 2 2010, 10:06 AM']Sounds good enough reason to me, Lojo. I'm also lambasted for being a Status aficionado but I don't care, either. For me and all the stlyes of music I play, there's nothing better. :)[/quote]

Fantastic, not fan myself, but love the fact that assuming you play Jazz? with all those chords and structures, you dig a 3 chord guitar band above all, music is great

Tough call as it is a really nice one. I got it from Peter Cookes when they had just received an assignment of 6 new Ricks (they called me when they arrived) and they were unpacking them for me to try. This bass felt and played better than the others I tried so I can attest that this is a good Rick. The only reason I sold it was because I got a 4001 Chris Squire and only use this at home as I find my other basses more suitable for the band's I'm in.

Whatever you do, as long as you keep the bass in great condition you shouldn't lose out. Maybe you should invite trades and see if there is someone that has a real nice bass they wouldn't part with other than to get a great Rick.

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='alanbass1' post='762071' date='Mar 2 2010, 06:32 PM']Tough call as it is a really nice one. I got it from Peter Cookes when they had just received an assignment of 6 new Ricks (they called me when they arrived) and they were unpacking them for me to try. This bass felt and played better than the others I tried so I can attest that this is a good Rick. The only reason I sold it was because I got a 4001 Chris Squire and only use this at home as I find my other basses more suitable for the band's I'm in.

Whatever you do, as long as you keep the bass in great condition you shouldn't lose out. Maybe you should invite trades and see if there is someone that has a real nice bass they wouldn't part with other than to get a great Rick.[/quote]

Cheers Alan, received the the ticket in the post today!

Yes, its a tough one, I am so happy with this bass, but its more an issue of I cant see me gigging it over a fender, at least in what I am doing at present

I did play a 2nd set on it once, perhaps I just need a little more time in a gig situation find my sound through it

Hope your getting on well with your CS, I see you have some great fenders, must be a tough choice for you when loading up for gigs

[quote name='lojo' post='762149' date='Mar 2 2010, 07:50 PM']Cheers Alan, received the the ticket in the post today!

Yes, its a tough one, I am so happy with this bass, but its more an issue of I cant see me gigging it over a fender, at least in what I am doing at present

I did play a 2nd set on it once, perhaps I just need a little more time in a gig situation find my sound through it

Hope your getting on well with your CS, I see you have some great fenders, must be a tough choice for you when loading up for gigs[/quote]

Yep, I've made it hard for myself.....

I was thinking about your original post and why not have a great piece of art in your house. I know lots of people who have paid a lot more on objects to hang on the wall/put in a cabinet and I reckon you Rick is as good an artistic investment as anything....

[quote name='bassmachine2112' post='764382' date='Mar 4 2010, 07:58 PM']hiho,get a sansamp or hartke vxl-some type of pre amp driver and bend in to it and you,ll love it.
I,ve got a musoman and a p-bass that sometimes see daylight.I just love it too bits,when you fiddle around and get them singing it,s hard to put them down.[/quote]

Are you talking about a rickenbacker?